𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

TORI NA'REENA JAMESNEW YORK, N

TORI NA'REENA JAMES
NEW YORK, N.Y.

" Bruh ain't no way that shit seven hundred dollars. You know how many clothes I could get with that much bread? Shittin me." Kalea scoffs, pointing at the price tag below Windows HP laptop.

" Isn't thanksgiving and Black Friday next week? I thought there were supposed to be sales right now," I mumble, looking over at the next laptop.

She snorted behind me, crossing her arms as she stands off to the side. " These niggas just wanna make sum bread, that's all. Why you think it's so damn expensive right na?"

Kalea and I arrived to target a short while ago, but everything in this store was expensive. Back home, we only had thrift shops and corner stores, but that was it. Nothing as bougie as target.

As for the laptops, I would struggling to find something under the price of $800. I only have 510 left in cash, so hopefully by God's grace I'll be able to find something just in time before I start class.

Just as I step towards the next few rows of laptops, Kaela's phone began to ring. She looks down at the screen, then back at me. " Hold on, I'ma take this right quick. But stay ova here so I know your good. Aigh?"

I nod, " Okay,"

Once she walks away, I let out a deep sigh. I should've thought things through, or at least found a cheaper, older computers back home and brought it with me. 

I shook those thoughts away, letting my eyes settle on an ACER laptop that was just in my price range. Silently thanking God, I look around for one of the sales associates. 

Making eye contact with one and spoke, " Hey, I'd like to buy this laptop."

The man walked over to me silently, grabbing one of the keys that hung from his waistband and unlocked the cabinets underneath the laptops. He grabs one of the various Acer's and gestures for me to follow behind him.

Standing at the counter, I watch as he scans the item and taps around on his computer. " That'll be $679.29,"

I blinked, " I'm sorry, what?"

" Your total is 679. 29." The man repeated, this time with an attitude. I furrowed my brows, pointing back towards the laptops, " That price tag says it's $235.67, how is it $679?"

" Added taxes, That's how." He grunted, an unamused look casted on his face.  He was the average white man, with pot belly and grey hairs trying to form a beard.