𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

TORI NA'REENA JAMES NEW YORK, N

TORI NA'REENA JAMES
NEW YORK, N.Y.

"In Today's lesson, You'll be exploring themes and symbolism in dystopian literature," Professor Brooks spoke promptly, scanning the room with her eyes.

" Your instructions are listed on blackboard, and the assignment will be due by Friday at midnight. Use your time wisely, it's incredibly aggravating when students waste their class period by scrolling on their phone . Be productive." She added, her lips curling into a thin line.

I look around the room, boredom filled expressions and half-lidded students just about to fall asleep. I whistle lowly, beginning the assignment as instructed. Literature was the only class I had for this semester, since I didn't register for any spring courses yet.

Before I even started this class, I spent the majority of my time in my dorm room with Kalea. If she was in class, or even asleep, I would spend my time reading or writing in my journal. Sooner or later, though, I'd have to write to mama. I would have to tell her just how " great" I have been since I moved here. I would have to come up with a story, leaving out all the encounters I've had since I've been here.

If  I told her the truth, If I told her just how home sick I was beginning to feel since I left, she would tell daddy to drag my ass back home. So to avoid that, I'll keep my mouth shut.

It's crazy, isn't it? To move to a place and expect that loneliness to just fade away?

In my mind, I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought maybe, just maybe, I could get rid of my loneliness. I could get rid of the guilt for leaving mama; I could get rid of the anger that always builds up in my chest when daddy is involved.

But that's just fairytale. Not reality. To be frank, there are people out in the world whose living conditions and family drama is worse than mine, so there's no need to complain.

" Ms. James?"

I snapped out of my thoughts, glancing up from my computer. " Ma'am?"

She gestures for me to come to her desk, sliding her glasses onto the top of her head. I close my laptop, confusion flooding my mind. I look over at everyone else as I walk to the front of the room, not understanding what exactly was happening.

I stand in front of her desk, speaking in a low voice. " Yes ma'am?"

Up closer, I could see the faint dark circles around her eyes, and just a tad bit of beauty marks scattered across her nose. She sighs deeply, leaning forward as she puts her hands on the desk. " You do know this is an academic course, right?"