𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

TORI NA'REENA JAMES NEW YORK, N

TORI NA'REENA JAMES
NEW YORK, N.Y.

" Thank you fa meetin me here," Jafar says, slightly nodding his head.

I shift in my seat, adjusting my posture. " Yeah, I was wondering why you suddenly wanted to talk." I say absentmindedly, picking at my finger nails.

He played with the silver chain on his wrist, the item shimmering under the dimly light café. His eyes shift to mine, " Just some things I wanted to get off my chest, that's all."

As arranged, Jafar and I met at the small café from before. The only difference was — well— that we were communicating like adults and not children, to put it plainly.

I didn't know what to expect when I came to this café. I didn't know if , by any means, it would be another screaming match between each other. Or perhaps we'll throw blows at each other and see who taps out.

But anything would be better than this thick tension illuminating our presence. I felt like I was suffocating, and I've already suffocated myself through my thoughts and nightmares for the past week.

Jafar clears his throat, leaning back in his chair with his arms folded in front of him. "So," he begins, " before I even gotta say what I gotta say, Can I ask you sum personal?"

I scrunched up my nose, eyeing him up and down. " Why?"

" someth- God told me somethin is wrong." Jafar admits, cutting himself off mid sentence.

I feel my heart sink in my chest. Was it that obvious? Did I do or say something to Kalea that might have caused suspicions? Or maybe the fact that I have bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep and food that I've been eating?

I have been trying my best to " act normal" this entire time. trying to seem as if every broken glass inside of me was still alive and fixed.

I stare down at my lap, tugging at the sleeves of my sweatshirt. " ...What makes you think something is wrong?"

I feel Jafar lean forward, resting his hands on the dark Mahogany table that separates us, " Cus you sittin in my face actin like everything all good when it's not." He bluntly stated.

I winced. Only he would see right through my facade. Jafar knew things about me that even I didn't know about myself and I resented it.

I look up, giving him the best tight lipped smile. " I'm fine, really."

Jafar sighs, leaning back and licking his lips. " Look, I'm not gon force you tell me nun cus it really ain't nun of my business. But... holding everything in ain't gon do you justice. It'll only drown you til that pain becomes unbearable."