Fourteen | 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

The night had come slowly after that conversation. Leah focused more on holding Kelly and watching Kurtis than anything else. She was curious, no hint of boredom as she observed the amazing way the animal could be used without wasting anything so carelessly. She hadn't thought all this stuff before, hadn't needed too, and while her father was the type to not want to waste any animal he hunts, he still wasted a considerable amount considering almost everything including the skin of the Boar was being used for something later. It made her trust that Kurtis could really do what he was trying to promise her. To provide, and she felt all warm from the thought of finding such a man despite the situation...Sam wouldn't know what to do with all of this.

And Kurtis...She thought he looked handsome as he worked in the comfortable silence, they created between the three of them. Kelly was warm and calm, and she was far too interested in what Kurtis was doing to feel her usual pitiful emotions. Her previous fears fading to the back of her mind as she watched her man-yeah, she still couldn't believe that she was going leech herself onto this delusion she was making up for herself. Kurtis was her man now, no matter the cultural barrier they seem to have now it was a silent acknowledgement that they were together. They were what Leah had called Boyfriend and Girlfriend.

Oh, she just felt giddy at that. He might not have confirmed it considering he still didn't understand the meaning of the terms, but Leah knew what he was trying to say. He didn't want to scare her off, he needed her and to a certain extent she wished he wanted her just as much. After breaking up with Sam, she couldn't see herself with any of the other boys that her mother was trying to set her up with. She didn't like Paul, Jared, Quil, and many more that she hadn't bothered to remember. She hated them even after they seemed to befriend that asshole, but her mother was amending that she needed to be with someone...she was now. It might not be for all the right reasons, but she had someone right now that was willing to hunt bears for her to make clothes out of their fur. And that was something that Sam could've never been able to do for her. With the sun finally setting and the candles in the Candle being lit, she began dinner with the help of Kurtis that pointed and brought whatever she needed. Meticulously crafted bowls for mixing, pots and pans for cooking, and the fat from the boar for frying. This meal was going to be meatier than anything, but it was great with what they were then.

"Have you ever had Candied Yams before?" She felt all hot and bothered as Kurtis stood behind her to see what she was doing with great interest. He looked like she did when she was watching him break down that pig and she couldn't help but feel so proud and flustered at the same time by the attention she was getting. He had presented before her a basket of Sweet Potatoes that he had stashed behind this little hidden 'pantry' like closet. In there it was pretty much empty, but she was glad that there would at least be something other than meat they could eat.

"No?" He shyly smiled, his nose flaring at the different smells she was creating in a pot she was certain he stole off a hiker, a very much alive hiker she hopes. "It smells, sweet?" He looked a tidbit concerned, but he allowed her to keep doing what she was doing.

"Yeah, my uncle married this woman whose absolute beast at making Candied Yams for holidays, A dessert if you may." With Marshmallows on top...she loved that woman. It truly was a shame when he divorced her over unknown reasons...well she probably knew the reason now but accepting it would be hard for her now.

"And the Sausage?" She 'seasoned' with the herbs he pointed out, his back pressed so hard against hers that she almost felt smothered, but she guessed it was fine considering he was helpful and stayed out of her way.

"Italian? Well at least that's what they're going to taste like in my opinion." Like the meat on those pizzas her dad loved to buy every Saturday night. They smelted the same, and the little taste she did made her happy enough to know she at least didn't over season them like she had thought.