18 - Regret

Jack's pov:

My eyes flutter awake with a white, blurred vision. As I focus my eyes, I realise its a bright light beaming onto my face. I look around to see a doctor conducting tests on me.

"Jack? Hi, I'm Jess. I'll be taking care of you until you recover," she says, standing beside me.

"Wh-what?" I ask confused. I try to sit up but my head thumps so I lay back. In the small time I sat up, I noticed someone else was here. "Who's over there?" I point ahead of me.

"You don't remember me?" The voice calls out, their footsteps head towards me. I turn my head so I can see who it is.

"Yana banana," I softly smile. She sighs in relief and hugs me tightly. I'm slightly in pain but the hug is necessary.

"Now, Jack, we need to discuss what happened," Jess chimes in. "We found quite a bit of alcohol in your system. Why were you on the road?"

"I needed to see someone..., I thought I was okay to drive."

"There's no way you were okay to drive, you're very lucky you're breathing without a machine. That crash was severe. I'll stop interrogating you, just rest up." Jess walks out of the room, leaving Yana and I here.

Christijana's pov:

"What's with the bandage on your head?" Jack asks me.

"I fainted, but it's fine. How's your head?"

"I won't answer any of your questions until you tell me what happened."

"...I was on my way to your place and actually saw you crash the car. I ran over and saw you looking dead so I passed out."

"You were the car with the high beams?"

"Yeah, that was me," I start to well up.

"Don't," Jack pleads which makes me cry. "Don't blame yourself."

"But if I didn't fight with you, we wouldn't be here."

"I'm the idiot who went on the roads, not you. You told me to stay away and I didn't listen."

I sigh, wiping the tears from my cheeks. Even though Jack's right, I still feel immense guilt in the pit of my stomach. Although none of my actions were intentional, it's my fault.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

I head out of the room to call a few people, like Jack's parents and close friends. I also call his footy coach.

📞 Calling: Craig (collingwood)

Accepted | Declined

Craig: Hello? 

Christijana: Hi Craig it's me Christijana, Ginni's..., girlfriend

Craig: Oh yes, what can I help you with darl?

Christijana: Jack was in a car accident, he's with me at the hospital

Craig: Oh god, okay. Uh, is he alright?