13 ~ My father, is dead

'Let's go, you're too slow.'

You looked up from your half-eaten plate and saw Draco. You had totally forgotten that you had a meeting with him.

'Go away.' Hermione snapped. 'She's eating.'

She was sitting behind you at the Gryffindor table. She overheard the commotion and turned around.

'We have a lot of work to do, I can't help it that she was late.' Draco sneered.

'Just leave us alone, Malfoy.' Harry said while getting up, walking over and getting in his face.

Harry seemed a lot more.. aggressive with Draco this year. Draco was taller than he was. He straightened his posture and raised his brows.

'This is amusing.' Draco grinned. 'Sit down, Potter.'

You looked at them and took the opportunity to stuff your mouth with more food. Ron and Hermione were also just staring up at them. He looked dominant. Like he knew they couldn't do anything to annoy him.

'She's only kind to you because she tutors you.' Ron said.

'Yes, don't you think for a moment that you can tell her what to do.'

It was kind that they tried to argue in your for you but they didn't need to protect you. You could do that yourself. Draco looked down at you with an amused smile.

'Guys-'

'Exactly. Leave, this table isn't for you.' Hermione sneered.

Draco laughed. You didn't see him do that often. It was quite a catching laugh. It made you smile.

'I don't think she minds. She seems like the type to like getting told what to do. Real Princess she is.' He grinned. 'A tad bit dramatic sometimes. Or crazy as I'd like to call it.'

'Guys-' You tried again.

Draco looked at you and placed his finger in front of his mouth, shushing you. You raised your brows at him. Harry slapped his hand away. He gave Harry an amused smile.

'That's so rude!' Hermione exclaimed.

You took your last bite and got up. They clearly weren't listening to you.

'Let's go.' You sighed.

'See.' Draco grinned. 'That's called: a conflict avoidant personality.'

You turned to him, unamused.

'Don't you ever shush me again, Malfoy.' You sneered. 'Let's go. I'll see you later.'

You headed out of the great hall with Draco. He seemed satisfied with himself. He liked arguing with them and you. You already knew that.

'Had fun?' You asked.

'Yes. Your friends are such idiots. Also terrible listeners.'

You rolled your eyes and didn't say anything. It was true. You knew he was thinking about how they ignored you.  You headed into the library with him and picked a table. You sat down and he joined you.

You grabbed some parchment and started by writing your name and his on top. This was going to take awhile. You had to write a report on one of the spell you learned. Everything about it. The background of it like who crested and used it but also the technical things.

'Y/L.. interesting last name.' He said.

'Malfoy is too.' You said.

Draco frowned. He had never seen the Y/L last name before. Couldn't be a wizard name then. He know a lot of those.

'Is that a muggle last name?' He asked.

You looked at him. How did he know that? Must be a smart kid.

'Yes. My dad.' You just said.

Draco sat back with a smirk.

'A half-blood, are we?'

You didn't like talking about your dad. You knew he hated half-bloods so this was going to be fun.

'Yes. I am. My mother is a pure-blood and I'm a half-blood.' You shrugged. 'What part do you want to do?' You asked.

'Give me anything. I can do it.'

'Alright, you do the introduction then.'

You placed your book on the table and opened it. You both started writing. It was quiet.

'Your father must really benefit from your magic at home then. Well, at least, your mother's. Muggles like to do that.'

You looked Draco dead in the eye, draco was actually shocked to see a look like that. Usually, you'd look at him more gentle. You didn't feel like playing around and listening to his jokes. If you didn't stop it, he'd talk about it all the time.

'My father, is dead.'

You looked away from him and continued writing. Draco actually felt a little bad for the first time in his life.

'Oh shit.' He said. 'I didn't know.'

'I know, you insensitive prick.'

You didn't speak for a long time. Draco also didn't know what to say. He really didn't know. You couldn't be mad at him for that, right?

He didn't even know why he was overthinking this. He looked at you and saw how focused you were.. but the soft expression on your face was gone.

'Y/N-'

You looked at him in surprise. That was your first name. You liked the way he said it. You liked that he called you that. You didn't know why.

'Y/L.' He corrected himself. 'I really didn't know. Alright?'

'I know.' You said. 'It's just a sensitive topic. I apologise if I came off rude.'

Draco frowned. Why were you apologising. He never expected that. You didn't mean to make him feel bad, you just wanted the comments and jokes to stop. You thought you could've been more gentle about it.

'You're apologising?' He asked.

'Yes.' You shrugged.

Draco sat back and started processing that. Usually no one really apologised to him.. for anything.

'I guess I do too then.'

You looked at him and smiled softly. An apology from Draco Malfoy. That was special, you knew that.

'But I'm not going to actually say it. Not my style.'

You rolled your eyes. At least you got more than most people ever got from him.

'I can drop another first year for you, if that cheers you up.'

That made you laugh. You pushed your parchment to him. He looked at it and sighed.

'Write your part, Draco.'