Butterflies

The girl looked back at me. She had calm violet eyes and an unsettling smile.

"Tomioka-san?" Shinobu said.

Of course, it was her.

"Is that you Kocho?" I ask.

"Yes it is, ahat are you doing here? she replied.

"I'm travelling somewhere and I needed a place to rest so I found this cave and decided to use it." I respond.

"I see." She says with a smile on her face.

I never understood why she smiled. I could always sense that it wasn't real. It's almost like that smile is a necessary thing for her.

I awkwardly stand there staring into space.

"It seems like you don't know how to socialise Tomioka-san" She says.

"When do you ever go away?" I ask.

"Never." She replies as she walks over to me and sits on the grass.

I avoid her by staring at the wisteria plants.

"Sit down Giyu." She exclaims.

"Giyu?" I ask.

"We aren't at work so I don't need to talk to you formally." She replies.

Throughout this conversation she's been putting that fake smile that she always do.

"Why do you always smile like that?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" She replies.

"There's something about your smile that makes it seem fake." I explain.

"How would you know? Your emotionless." She says.

"I can recognise emotions. They aren't a foreign concept to me." I reply.

"Are you sure?" She asks.

"Yes, I'm very sure I respond." I reply.

"Sit down." She says.

I reluctantly sit down on the grass next to her.

"Isn't the moon lovely tonight?" She asks.

I stare at the night sky. It was dark and somewhat comforting. It was covered in stars which seemed to shine brighter than anything I'd ever seen before.

"It indeed is." I reply.

I began to think.

Was she trying to flirt with me? I don't know why she would do that. I'm nothing special. Shinobu deserves a lot better than me. But that doesn't matter because I'm sure she doesn't like me. Plus, I don't want to see another person I care for die.

"What are you thinking about Giyu?" She asks as she drops the smile she always does.

"Why did you stop smiling?" I reply.

"You seem like you don't like my smile. You know it's fake and you always look concerned when you see it." She explains.

I begin to feel a bit nervous as butterflies enter my stomach.

"O-oh uhm it's fine if you like to smile.. I uh guess!" I stutter.
I stare down at the grass to avoid eye contact with her.

"Is there something wrong?" She asks.

"No, not at all." I say trying to be as normal as I possibly can. After all, it is not easy to hide things from Shinobu.

Shinobu's POV

I can no longer think straight. What has happened?  Is something wrong with me? I must've hit my head somewhere. There is something about Giyuu's presence which seems to give me a weird feeling of nervousness.

"I have to head back now." I say.

"Bye then." He replies.

I begin to walk away from him.

I walk for a while until I arrive at butterfly mansion.

As I enter the mansion I hear Aoi and Kanao chatting about something.

"I hope Master Shinobu will let us go!" Kanao says.

"Me too!" Aoi replies.

I've never seen the girls actaully go out. They both usually fulfil their duties at the mansion and rarely go outside. It seems to shock me. Ever since the final battle things have changed. The butterfly mansion has never been so empty. The only thing that I treat is Kanao's injured eye.

I walk over to them and ask what they are talking about.

"Where do you want to go?" I ask.

"Nezuko sent us an invite to hangout with her." Aoi explains.

"Of course you can! Why would I ever say no?" I respond.

"Thank you." They both say.

"When will you go?" I ask.

"Tommorow." They reply.

"Ok both of you stay safe." I say as I walk to my office as I begin to think to myself.

Maybe I should hang out with Giyu. What am I even saying? Why would be hang out with me. Plus he's not that special.

I stare down at the medicine Kanao gave me. There's no point getting close to him. I'm gonna die. But then again, he wouldn't want me to die. If I start drinking the medicine I could be closer to him.

I sip the medicine. I've never wanted to be alive as much as I do now. Something has changed inside me. What is it?