Chapter 16

April's POV

"Oh, thank you," I said as someone offered to take my coat.

"When you're ready to leave just give someone working up here this ticket and they'll be able to grab your jacket for you," the employee explained, a friendly smile on his face. I took the slip of paper from his hands and placed it into my small black handbag. Jazz came cascading out of the main hall along with the distinct sound of chatter.

Once I entered the room I was met with bustling crowds of people, dressed in beautiful garments as they talked and danced amongst each other. Hanging above the crowd was a large sign that said 'Happy Retirement!', silver and gold balloons framing the outside of it. To the right was a large buffet line serving everything from tiny hotdogs to crab legs. No expense was wasted on one of the most famous people in the city.

"April!"

"Rob! How have you been?" He embraced me in a friendly hug, pulling away to reveal his pearly white smile.

"Very good, retirement suits me well," he winked playfully, a laugh on his lips. He looked quite handsome in his sleek white suit, even for someone his age.

"You've definitely earned it," I praised. Silverman had been a hero of mine for years, in fact, he had been the person who made me want to be a reporter in the first place. Once I actually started working for Channel 6 I saw firsthand just how much work he did behind the scenes, which only made my respect for him grow.

"Thank you, that means a lot coming from you," he took my arm in his as we began to walk to the side, away from the large crowds.

"Oh, I'm sure my praise isn't that important," I waved him off.

"You'd be surprised. I really admire you, you know?" he asked, causing me to look up at him in a bit of shock.

"You admire me?"

"Well yes, I don't think I've seen any reporter work as hard as I've seen you do. Not only that but you have a great screen presence. Your devotion to this job is truly admirable."

"Thank you sir." It took a few seconds for me to respond, still slightly in shock from the sudden compliments.

"I don't say these things lightly either. I'm sure you're aware that they're currently looking for my replacement." Of course I knew. It was all anyone in the office could talk about. There were rumors on who was going to be picked, but no one actually knew for sure.

"I've heard some things about it."

"Well I thought I'd give you a heads up," he had a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, his lips quirking up in a small grin.

"About what?"
"I've recommended you to be my successor." I froze, bringing us to an abrupt stop.

"Are you serious?" I breathed, disbelief clear on my face.

"Now April, have I ever lied to you?"

"No?" I asked. He chuckled at my reaction and released my arm from his grasp, standing in front of me.

"Now it's not guaranteed but you're definitely in the running. So good luck April, I believe in you." Before I could stop myself I leapt forward, wrapping my arms around him in a quick hug.

"Thank you so much," my voice was quiet but I knew he heard me once he reciprocated the motion, "you're welcome," following shortly after.

"Mr. Silverman!" Our moment was swiftly interrupted by others swarming around us, desperate to speak with the man of the night. He gave me one last wink before he was swept away into the ever growing crowd.