T H I R T E E N

The school day had come to an end, and the weight of my uniform felt like a tether binding me to the day's responsibilities

The school day had come to an end, and the weight of my uniform felt like a tether binding me to the day's responsibilities. As soon as I stepped into the familiar comfort of my room, I shed the uniform like a second skin, opting for the coziness of casual clothes.

The balcony beckoned, offering a retreat from the confines of four walls. I settled into the chair, the cool breeze whispering against my skin, and dialed my dad's number. The phone rang, each tone resonating with anticipation.

"He's probably caught up with work," I mumbled to myself, trying to quell the impatience rising within me. I glanced at the city below, a bustling canvas of life, each person weaving through their own narrative.

The dial tone persisted, the rhythm of unanswered calls echoing the silence on the other end. I sighed, my fingers drumming a restless beat on the phone. The balcony, usually a place of solace, now felt tinged with an uneasy stillness.

I couldn't help but wonder where he was, what kept him from answering. Was it the demands of his job or something else entirely? The city lights below seemed to twinkle with their own mysteries, a reflection of the unanswered questions in my mind.

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm palette across the sky. The balcony transformed into a haven of contemplation, a perch from which I observed the shifting hues of the evening.

As the minutes ticked by, the glow of the city beneath me grew more pronounced, and my patience waned. I pocketed the phone, its unanswered calls a silent reminder of the distance between my dad and me.

With a sigh, I leaned back in the chair, my gaze fixed on the urban sprawl below. The balcony, once a retreat, now felt like a bridge to the unanswered, a place where the city lights whispered stories of connections and disconnections.

The familiar chime of my phone broke the quiet contemplation on the balcony. Dad was calling back, his voice a welcomed melody in the evening air. I eagerly answered, the warmth in his tone instantly soothing the restlessness that lingered.

"Hey, sweetheart. Sorry about earlier. I was stuck in traffic," he explained, the sounds of city life and car horns faintly audible in the background.

"No worries, Dad. I know how it gets. How was work?" I inquired, settling back into the chair, the glow from the city lights dancing in the dusk.

As he recounted the tales of his day, I shared the snippets of my life here, the weeks that had unfolded since my arrival. The call became a bridge connecting two worlds, and through the exchange of laughter and tears, we found solace in each other's stories.

Midway through our conversation, a sudden thud echoed from behind me, signaling Caleb's return from basketball training. I turned to see him dropping his duffle bag with a deliberate clatter, acknowledging his presence with a nod.