八: akemi is his hope

The air in the Uchiha household grew heavy with tension as Fugaku confronted Itachi, who just returned from his mission in the dimly lit living room. The stern patriarch's gaze bore into Itachi's eyes, disappointment etched across his features.

"Tou-chan," Itachi began calmly, "I understand the responsibilities I have to the clan, but my duties to the Anbu and as a Jounin are equally crucial."

Fugaku's stern expression hardened. "Your duties to the clan should always take precedence, Itachi. The Uchiha name must be upheld."

Itachi met his father's gaze unwaveringly. "The Anbu protect the village, Father. If I neglect that duty, the consequences could be dire."

Fugaku's voice grew sharper. "You will attend the clan meetings and perform the tasks assigned to you. Neglecting these duties reflects poorly on the Uchiha clan. Respected clan elders has voiced out their dissatisfaction on your attitude as the next heir."

Itachi remained composed. "Tou-chan, I am doing what I believe is best for the clan. I did my best in Anbu's operations and earned considerable respect as a Jounin."

Fugaku's patience wore thin. "Your loyalty should lie with the Uchiha clan, not the Anbu. You are not just an individual; you are a part of something greater."

Itachi's resolve remained unbroken. "I am well aware of my place in the clan, Tou-chan. However, my duty to the village is also a duty to the Uchiha."

Fugaku, unable to contain his frustration, raised his hand and delivered a resounding slap across Itachi's face. The room fell silent, the echo of the impact lingering. Itachi, his cheek stinging, maintained his composure. "Physical punishment won't change my stance, Tou-chan."

Fugaku's tone grew more severe. "You are the future of the Uchiha clan, Itachi. You have obligations, starting with your marriage to Izumi. It's time you accepted your responsibilities."

Itachi's eyes narrowed slightly. "I cannot marry Izumi." His breath shuddered as he realised what he said to his father, it was a grave mistake to be straightforward in this conversation. Fugaku's anger flared. "This isn't a matter of choice, Itachi! It's your duty!"

Itachi took a deep breath. "I have someone else in my heart, Tou-chan. I cannot betray my own feelings. I don't love Izumi."

Fugaku's eyes narrowed in disbelief. "Feelings are irrelevant when it comes to the clan's stability. You will marry Izumi, and that is final.We need to preserve our kekkei genkai and dōjutsu or every advantage our ancestors has gained for us will be down the drain."

Itachi's gaze remained steady. "I won't compromise my happiness for the sake of duty, Tou-chan. I won't marry someone I don't love. I keep my decision as that." Fugaku, incensed and roared, "You will do as you're told! Your personal desires are inconsequential compared to the Uchiha legacy!"

Itachi's voice, calm but resolute, cut through the heated exchange. "If you force me into a life I do not want, I will leave the clan. I cannot be part of a future that denies me the freedom to make my own choices."

The room fell into an uneasy silence as father and son locked eyes, the weight of conflicting loyalties and personal convictions hanging in the air. Itachi's declaration echoed with the profound choice he was willing to make, challenging the rigid traditions that bound him to the Uchiha clan. The situation was unbearable. Itachi stood up from his seat and left the room.

"I am sorry that I am not up to your expectations, Tou-chan. But I am merely human, with feelings. I don't want to uphold the Uchiha's name and live in regret with someone I don't love. You must think your way will benefit me the most. If you love me as your son, your blood and flesh, let me do what I wanted to. Please excuse me." Itachi left the Uchiha district into the night.