une - tears

I sit quietly in the library of my university when my mother calls me

"Haewon, did you know?" she frantically asks over the phone as I race through my mind at what she could possibly mean.

"Did I know what?"

"You bitch! You were covering for him this entire time!"

"Mom, if you're going to speak to me that way I'll just go ahead and hang up. Maybe I would have a clue about what you're asking me about if you'd just tell me and stop trying to be vague about it."

"YOUR DAD HAS BEEN CHEATING ON ME!!" she screeches through the phone so loudly that it causes me to be unsure if anyone else heard. I feel tears run down my face as she continues berating me on the phone.

"I'm sorry Mom. I had no clue."

"Yeah, I'm sure you didn't." she replies sarcastically.

"Mom I seriously didn't know." I get out just as she hangs up the phone on me.

I walk back to my apartment, greeted with what feels like a million texts from my mother.

Mother

I'm divorcing your dad.
You're coming with me.

What about my education?

That doesn't matter anymore, you're about to be a wife.

I beg your pardon?

You're going to get married to one of my friend's sons.

What why?

Because if you want to continue your education, you'll need someone to pay for it. I would've figured that they would teach you when to stop asking questions at that school.
You're getting married, whether you like it or not. I'm saving you from being a broke loser. I'll be visiting your dorm tomorrow to go over the details with you. And none of your nosey little roomies better be there. Goodbye.

I slump on the couch when Lily walks out of her room.

"You okay?"

That single question makes me into nothing but tears and snot.

I cry for about three hours before she and Felix get me to calm down.

"We'll stay here, we'll just be in our rooms with the doors cracked open a little so we can hear what's going on. Then as soon as she leaves we'll be right by your side again." Felix says, comforting me.

I just nod my head as a response, afraid of hiccuping too loudly if I speak.