0 | Prologue

A/N: The gif above is how I imagine Atia, but feel free to imagine her however you want. 

Before I begin, I just want to mention that English is not my first language, so if you find any mistakes feel free to correct me.

I hope you enjoy. 

**********

It begins in the waking world, which humanity insists on calling the real world. As if their dreams had no effect upon the choices they make.

Yet, in the end, all they do is make their choices basing on their dreams, for they are the reason they have to make those. Dreams are like messengers of the subconscious, weaving their influence into their waking lives.

They go about their work, their loves, their wars, as if their waking lives are all that matter.

But they don't know there is another life which awaits them when they close their eyes and enter our realm.

The one, where they can stop worrying about the lives they think are their only ones. They can abandon their worries and become carefree for a few hours.

Whenthe waking world leaves the mortals wanting and weary, sleep brings them hereto find freedom and adventure.

Some find themselves walking around beautiful, green meadow, resting under big, old trees, taking in the clear sky, or relaxing, as they watch the grass sway lazily with gentle wind. 

Others find their peace going on adventures. They search for a treasure or fight against made-up creatures.

However, there are also some who don't find peace in here. They can get trapped in places, where shadows dance with the secrets most dare not share in daylight. They can whisk the person away to where the familiar twists into the eerie images, and time itself becomes a treacherous accomplice.

In these dark dreams, forgotten fears take centre stage, whispering tales of long-forgotten terrors and conflicts. Monsters lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce when the mortal's guard is down.

 Yet, as frightening as it may sound, none of thelost mortals got hurt. They might think they were but forgot about it in thewaking hours.

Just as the rest of our realm.

 None knew it was all real, what they saw. That we're all truly here.

They forget how they walk over the bridge, held up by two enormous hands, chatting with strangers from all over the world. 

They forget how they spend hours in the library, either talking with Lucienne or reading countless books that are written and yet to be written. 

And they forget about me. The one, who shows them around the realm, help them find the place they want to spend their time in, in our realm. Help them to face their fantasies and fears in dreams and nightmares.

That is my purpose and my function. 

For I am the Queen of Dreams and Nightmares. 

However, it all began to slowly fall apart when the King of Dreams and Nightmares had to leave the realm to pursue a rogue Nightmare. 

*****

Atia walked into the throne room, with Jessamysitting on her shoulder. Her husband sat on his throne, starring intonothingness, his brow furrowed.

When he heard her walk into the room, his gazefocused on her and he straightened slightly, watching in silence as she madeher way up the stairs. The whole time, she avoided eye contact with him.

Even, while she put his ruby around his neck, making sure it was resting comfortably there. Her hands slowly slid down to his shoulders. His, on the other hand, went up to her waist and gently pulled her closer to him.

He could tell something was bothering her, justby the way she acted. Usually, she had this skip in her step, or at least asmall smile on her face, which always brough out his own. Yet, that day theywere missing.

She's been like this since she found out abouthis departure to pursue the Corinthian. Ever since, she's been quiet and seemedto be lost in her thoughts. 

Finally, she decided to bring it up.

"Are you absolutely sure I can't come with you?" Atia asked quietly.

He let out a quiet sigh and shook his head.

"I told you already," he started. "I need someone to take care of our realm, while I'm away."

They had that discussion when she first brought it up. It was just a few hours after he told her about his plans, but it really seemed to bother her.

"But Lucienne can-"

"I know Lucienne is more than capable to take the lead, when we are not here," he cut her off gently. "But you are the Queen. You are my second-in-command, not Lucienne."

Atia's shoulder slumped slightly, but she knew he was right. Still, she had this feeling, that didn't want to go away.

Taking a small breath, she gently stepped back from his grip. His eyes followed her, as she walked over to the small table beside them, where two of his tools were.

She slowly ran a hand along the edge of it, before speaking again.

"What if you need help? I might-"

"I won't. We both know Corinthian is no match for me. It will be only a moment. I will be back before you know it."

She finally looked into her husband's silvery eyes. They and his almost milky skin tone seemed to glow in the dim room, contrasting with his unruly black hair and same-coloured clothes.

Nodding slowly, she looked down on the tools, before pursing her lips.

"Alright," she said, defeated.

Dream looked at her for a moment longer. Then, he stood up from his throne and walked over to her. When she was within a reaching distance, he put a hand on her lower back and kissed her temple

The two of them turned towards the window, as the image on it slowly changed.

From the colourful mess, the image of the rogue Nightmare appeared. It would be impossible to mistake the Corinthian for anyone else, in his beige suit and sunglasses to hide the teeth he had instead of eyes.

Morpheus had to leave soon. The sooner he got to the Corinthian, the better. The Nightmare shouldn't be outside of The Dreaming. He caused too much trouble and harm in the waking world.

Lucienne, who was summoned earlier, came into the throne room just as Dream was grabbing his helm from the small table.

"My Lord, you are coming back, aren't you?" she asked, stopping a few steps behind the rulers.

She almost sounded unsure, as if she had doubts he would. Atia, who grabbed the pouch, frowned, as she looked first at the librarian, then towards the King. He stopped for a second, turning his head to glance at his Queen, who shared his look of confusion.

"Why would I not return, Lucienne?" he replied.

"I don't know, a presentiment," the librarian shook her head.

Dream went back to getting ready, putting on his helm. He turned towards his wife, who stepped forward and handed him his pouch.

Meanwhile, Jessamy, who was still on her shoulder, jumped onto Morpheus'.

"As powerful as you are here in your realm, Dreams rarely survive in the waking world," the woman continued. "Nightmares, on the other hand, seem to thrive there."

"As I told Atia, already, I will be fine," Dream said, his voice slightly altered because of his helm.

"She has a point," the Queen stepped forward, mindful of the whirling sand at their feet. "The Corinthian can be unpredictable."

"I was the one, who created him. And now, he is my problem to deal with."

And with that, he poured a handful of sand into his awaiting fist. Throwing it into the air, he disappeared into the small whirl of sand.