9 | The Oldest Game

A/N: As much as I love Gwendoline Christie's Lucifer, every time I hear or read Lucifer, Tom Ellis is the first one I see, so I went with his looks when I described Lucifer.

Besides, for as long as I can remember, I was always taught that Lucifer is a male and I just have problems with imagining him otheriwse (while not watching the series). But please, do not hold it aganist me.

I hope you enjoy the chapter.

**********

Lucifer Morningstar stood with his back towards the guests, as they entered. His black, bat-like wings twitched against his back every once in a while.

"Hello," he greeted them, as he turned around.

Morpheus and Atia nodded their heads in acknowledgment. The Devil started approaching them slowly, waving his hand through fire as he went. For a second, the flame grew bigger and brighter, before getting smaller.

"Hello, Dream. Atia," Lucifer announced, as he stopped right before the two rulers.

"Greetings to you, Lucifer Morningstar," the Endless replied.

"And to you, Mazikeen of the Lilim," Atia looked towards the demon, standing in the shadows.

The woman slowly turned towards them, revealing the devastated half of her face, burnt off and scared.

"Greetings, Dream Lord. Atia," she sent them both a small nod.

"You both look well," Lucifer mused, looking both of them up and down, but his eyes lingered on Atia's form. "Are you well? And your family, Destiny, Death, Despair, and the others?"

The King of the Dreaming smiled without an ounce of humour in it. Instead, his smile was cold, as were his eyes, the question making unwanted and hidden disappointment flare within him.

He didn't know and frankly, for the time being, he didn't care. But he assumed they were just fine.

"I presume the Ruler of Hell knows this is no social call," he said instead.

"Have you come to join forces then? To ally your realm to ours? To acknowledge the sovereignty of Hell?"

"You know our feelings on that, Lightbringer."

"Feelings change," the Morningstar smirked, as he looked on the Endless. "Especially when one has been caught and imprisoned by mortals. We expected better of you, sweet Morpheus."

"We have come, because my Helm of State was stolen from me," Dream didn't let anyone see the effect that comment had on him. "I believe one of your demons has it. I should like it back."

When Lucifer only smiled, Morpheus' eyes narrowed.

"Now," he added, clenching his jaw.

"Dream, if only it were that easy," the Devil tsked. "But there are rules, you see. Protocols which must be followed."

"Surely, there must be some kind of exception, as the helm was stolen," Atia protested.

"Sorry, love, but there are none," Lucifer turned away from them, walking back towards the balcony where he stood earlier. "Which demon has your helm? Name it and we will bring it here."

"I confess I do not know the name," the Endless admitted.

Thanks to Johanna, who expelled the demon before they could find out. Or maybe the demon would've lied. Either way, they had no idea which demon could be in possession of it now.

"Then we will have to summon all of them," Lucifer mused, as he reached the edge of the balcony.

The four beings in the room slowly approached the Ruler of Hell, who with a lazy wave of hand summoned his subjects. Almost immediately roars and shouts sounded across, now, filled grounds beneath them. Fires roared to life, burning high and bright.