4 | Imperfect Hosts

Morpheus beckoned Atia to crouch down beside him and after she did, he put his arm around her waist.

Slowly pouring the sand from his fist into the water, they watched as they reflections appeared on the surface. Their eyes seemed to glow much brighter than they usually did, even though the glow of Atia's eyes was much weaker than Dream's.

Almost unsurely, they slowly reached their arms down, towards the water. Their reflections didn't follow the movement, just seemed to watch them with smirks.

Without a warning, the reflections' arms shot out of the water and grabbed their wrists. Atia didn't even have time to gasp before she and Morpheus were pulled under the surface.

If it wasn't for the tight grip the two had on each other, they would've been pulled apart.

As soon as they got to what looked like dark cloud under the water, the reflections let go of their arms and disappeared.

At first, neither of them could see anything. It was just darkness and the feeling of each other's touch.

The Dreams and Nightmares no longer seemed to recognize their master. But they will remind them and take what they require.

With each passing moment, the water seemed to become a bit clearer, allowing them to see what they were looking for.

First thing they found was the crossroad since one meets the Fates there. Morpheus reached into the dream of Cambodian farmer with his free hand and pulled it from the ground.

Next, they were pulled into another dream, of a young Japanese cinephile with head full of British horror films. From there, they took the gallows, for the hanged man represents surrender and sacrifice for the greater good.

Then, they were falling. From the dream, they fell into the dark tunnel with no visible beginning or end. It was just a black hole, that seemed to suck them in, with no intention of letting go.

The currents were much stronger and faster than either of them remembered. It was much harder to get through them than it used to be. Morpheus and Atia had to fight against them, to keep each other close.

But moments later, the Lord of the Dreaming regained his focus. He was finally able to see what the Fater required. Grabbing Atia's arm, he was able to get them to the place where they found it. A serpent, symbol of transformation, of life, death and rebirth.

Wordlessly, they agreed on their plan of action. Atia was the one to bait it, as she knelt down before it and waver her hand slowly, capturing the creature's attention. When it finally pounced, Morpheus caught it into his coat.

Lastly, there was just one more thing the Rulers of the Dreaming took. An egg.

It wasn't needed for the Fates, but just as important. Exchanging a look with her husband, Atia grabbed it and held it gently.

Now, as the offerings were gathered, everything was up to the fates.

*****

As much as Atia wanted to stay with Morpheus, when he summoned the Fates, they agreed it was his task. He was the one who wanted answers and her presence wasn't needed.

So, as he went to meet the Hecate, she took care of the other task. Taking the egg, she went back to the Dreaming, then to the House of Secrets and House of Mystery.

She knew exactly what happened when they left, after Gregory's sacrifice.

Standing above Abel's grave, she looked sadly on the dirt. She knew there wasn't anything that could be done about it, not matter how much they wished.