Chapter 4

3rd pov:

"Take a right here," Tina guided the three of them down Brownstone Street. Newt and Tina were helping to keep Mr. Kowalski steady on his feet, and he kept making various retching sounds, which Genevieve found odd. The Murtlap bite must be affecting him more than it should.

As they rounded the corner, Tina hurried them to hide behind a large truck, peering over her shoulder across the street.

"Okay—before we go in—I'm not supposed to have men on the premises," she said, looking between Newt and Mr. Kowalski.

"Ooo, someone's a rebel~" Genevieve teased, chuckling, as Tina ignored her comment.

"In that case, Mr. Kowalski and I, along with Genevieve, can easily seek other accommodation—" Newt started to say, but Tina grabbed Mr. Kowalski's arm. "Oh no, you don't!" She said, pulling him across the street. Newt let out a heavy sigh as Genevieve shook her head. "Told you it won't work. She sure is a determined woman," Genevieve said, shrugging, as they dutifully followed Tina and Mr. Kowalski.

"Watch your step," she said as they reached the building. Once inside, Tina placed her pointer finger on her lips, motioning them to walk in front of her. Mr. Kowalski, Newt, and Genevieve walked ahead of her and up the stairs, with Tina following behind.

As they reached the top floor, they heard a door open downstairs. "That you, Tina?" a woman's voice called.

"Yes, Mrs. Esposito!" Tina replied.

"Are you alone?" Esposito asked.

"I'm always alone, Mrs. Esposito," she said, and her landlord seemed satisfied with the answer, as they heard her door shut, and Tina ushered them to move on.

Entering through a door, Genevieve noticed the place was enlivened with magic. An iron was working away on its own in a corner, and a clothesline revolved, clumsily, on its wooden legs in front of a fire, drying an assortment of underwear. "Teenie—you brought men home? And who's the new girl?" another female voice asked. Genevieve looked in the direction of the voice and saw a pretty blonde girl standing in a silk slip, supervising the mending of a dress as she waved at her with a flirty smile. Meanwhile, Mr. Kowalski looked thunderstruck by the sight in front of him.

"This is my sister. You want to put something on, Queenie?" Tina asked her.

"Oh, sure," Queenie said, unconcerned, waving her wand as the dress magically ran up her body.

"So, who are they?" She asked Tina.

"That's Mr. Scamander and Miss Pendragon. They've committed a serious infraction of the National Statute of Secrecy—" Tina said as Queenie looked over at Newt and Genevieve, impressed.

"They're criminals?" She asked.

"Uh-huh, and this is Mr. Kowalski, he's a No-Maj—"

"A No-Maj? Teen—what are you up to?" Queenie asked her sister with worry.

"He's sick—it's a long story—Mr. Scamander and Miss Pendragon have lost something, and I'm going to help them find it," Tina replied as Mr. Kowalski staggered. Genevieve helped him over to the couch.

"You need to sit down, honey," Queenie said, rushing over to him as well.

"Hey.... he hasn't eaten all day. And....aw, that's rough, he didn't get the money he wanted for his bakery. You bake, honey?" Queenie asked, and Mr. Kowalski, who had stared in amazement at her, nodded. Queenie smiled and said. "I love to cook."

Newt and Genevieve looked at her with curiosity, and Newt spoke up. "You're a Legilimens?" She nodded at this, and Genevieve smiled in amusement.

"Blimey," Genevieve said with a smile.