Chapter 7

3rd pov:

In the dimly lit interrogation room, a confined space with black walls and no windows, Graves sat at one end of a plain table, flanked by Newt and Genevieve, who were shackled. Tina stood behind them, accompanied by three stern individuals.

"Miss Pendragon, I'ved always heard of your excellence in alchemy. The famous youngest alchemist. It would have been a pleasure to meet you under different circumstances," Graves remarked, flipping through a file.

"You're an interesting man, Mr. Scamander," Graves commented, examining another file.

"Mr. Graves—" Tina attempted to interject, but Graves silenced her with a gesture.

"You were thrown out of Hogwarts for endangering human life—" Graves began, only to be interrupted by Genevieve.

"It was an accident; that's what it was," she asserted.

Graves glanced up at her, then continued reviewing the file. "Yet one of your teachers argued strongly against your expulsion. Now, what makes Albus Dumbledore so fond of you?" he inquired of Newt.

"I really couldn't say," Newt replied, prompting Genevieve to wonder if there was a tinge of jealousy in Graves's demeanor.

"So setting a pack of dangerous creatures loose here was just another accident, is that right?" Graves questioned.

"Why would we do that deliberately?" Genevieve retorted.

"To expose wizard kind. To provoke war between the magical and non-magical worlds," Graves explained.

"Mass slaughter for the greater good, you mean?" Newt asked.

"Yes. Quite," replied Graves.

"You really think we are stupid? If I wanted to do that, I would not be sitting here till now," Genevieve snapped, displaying her disdain.

"Genevieve and I are not one of Grindelwald's fanatics, Mr. Graves," Newt clarified, attempting to smooth over her abruptness, though it seemed to irk Graves further.

"I wonder what you two can tell me about this, Mr. Scamander and Miss Pendragon?" Graves inquired, conjuring the Obscurus from Newt's case with a deliberate hand movement. As Graves observed the pulsating, swirling mass, Genevieve exchanged confused glances with Newt.

"So it's useless without the host?" Graves asked, focusing on the Obscurus. Genevieve, still puzzled, glanced at Newt.

"Useless?" they both questioned simultaneously.

"That parasitical magical force that killed a child. What on earth would you use it for? You psycho," Genevieve accused Graves, sharing an angry look with Newt.

"You fool nobody, Mr. Scamander and Miss Genevieve. You two brought this Obscurus into the city of New York in the hope of causing mass disruption, breaking the Statute of Secrecy, and revealing the magical world—" Graves accused.

"You know that can't hurt anyone, you know that!" Newt interjected, his frustration evident.

"You and Miss Pendragon are, therefore, guilty of a treasonous betrayal of your fellow wizards and are sentenced to death. Miss Goldstein, who has aided and abetted you two—" Graves continued, ignoring Newt's protests.

"No, she's done nothing of the kind—" Newt argued, but Graves dismissed him.

"She receives the same sentence," Graves concluded, and Tina began to cry.

"No, don't punish them, just me! It's my case; inside there is my room, Newt has nothing to do with this!" Genevieve pleaded, surprising Newt with her self-sacrifice.