Chapter 22

3rd pov:

Newt and William approached and unlocked a rusted grille before entering the old prison. An eerie candle provided dim illumination as they faced an unkempt warder stationed before a wall of pigeonholes. "We're here for my brother, Theseus Scamander," Newt informed the warder as he rose from his desk, accepting the papers Dumbledore had given them. Among the papers, a photo of Newt and Genevieve from their youth had accidentally been included.

An overzealous charmed stamp began to stamp on the papers and edged towards the photo before Newt swiftly retrieved it. "Sorry about that, it's just..." Newt started, noticing the warder wearing Theseus's tie. William also noticed, and both men were momentarily taken aback until the warder spoke up.

"Your wands," he requested. Newt frowned but complied, reaching into his coat, and William followed suit. The warder stiffly rose and passed his wand over Newt. As it hovered over a pocket, a squeak emitted. "Oh, that's— I'm a Magizoologist..." Newt explained, but the warder extracted Pickett from the pocket. "He's harmless, just a... pet, really," Newt added, and Pickett frowned up at the attention. "Sorry," Newt murmured.

The warder then inspected William, and Teddy peeked out of William's jacket pocket. "That's Teddy... a bit of a handful, truth be told," William joked.

"They stay here," the warder declared firmly, eyeing the creatures and the wands.

Reluctantly, Newt and William surrendered their companions, watching somberly as the warder placed Teddy in one cubbyhole and Pickett along with the wands in another.

With a sickening, squelching noise, the warder plunged his hand into a bucket full of squirming grubs and plucked one out. He shook it in his fist until it quivered and transformed into a firefly, depositing it into a small tin lantern. As it fluttered about, the lantern emitted a feeble yet tremendous light.

Taking the light in hand, Newt peered into the dark passage. "How will we know where to find him?" Newt inquired of the warder. "He's your brother?" The warder asked. "Yes," Newt affirmed. "He'll be the one who looks like your brother," the warder remarked dryly. "Gee, thanks for being so helpful," William interjected sarcastically as he and Newt turned their attention back to the dark passage.

Newt glanced back at the cubbyholes, particularly towards Pickett. "We'll be back, Pick. On my word," Newt promised the creature before he and Jason ventured into the passage. "We'll be back, Pick. On my word," the Warder mimicked with a smile directed at Pickett. "And I'll be Minister of Magic one day," he added with a cruel grin, eliciting a cheeky response from Pickett sticking its tongue out at him.

William and Newt proceeded deeper into the prison, their only light source being the lantern they were given. "Theseus," Newt called out in a hushed voice, but there was no response. "Theseus," William echoed, still receiving silence. What they did hear, however, was tiny scuttling sounds on the ground near their feet.

The two men crouched down, and Newt swung the lantern to get a better view of a tiny crab-like creature. "Newt, what is that?" William asked, his curiosity piqued. "A Manticore," Newt replied as the baby Manticore wiggled its antennas. The two men watched the little creature when another one appeared, followed by several more.

One of the Manticores bared its teeth, causing William to express concern. They stood up and backed into a central atrium, their feet at the edge of a great pit. Peering down, they could see something stirring in the vast, dark hole below.

Newt glanced back at the baby Manticores and got an idea. "William, follow my lead," he whispered, and William nodded. Newt then adopted an odd, crab-like pose, and the Manticores mimicked him. Although confused, William followed suit as Newt directed.