Chapter 19

3rd pov:

New York

Meanwhile, Jacob Kowalski reluctantly prepares to open his bakery, the joy and vibrancy of his business diminished ever since Queenie sided with Grindelwald. As he tends to the bakery, he notices the wedding cake he had been working on, finding the groom figure fallen. He gently picks it up, feeling a pang of sadness, and sets it beside the bride figure.

Just then, the bell jingles, signaling someone's arrival. Jacob lets out a sigh, expecting customers, and heads towards the front. However, his words falter as he sees Queenie standing there, a familiar face that brings a mix of emotions. "Queenie," he utters, surprise evident in his voice, while she greets him with a warm smile.

"Hi, sweetie," Queenie says as she looks over the empty shelves. "Honey...look at your bakery. It's like a ghost town," she remarks, concerned. "Yeah, well, I missed you," Jacob says, choking back tears.

"Oh, baby. Why don't you come here?" She asks as she holds her arms out to him. He seemed reluctant at this until she said. "Come here." And he goes over to her and hugs her then begins to sob, softly, as she hugs him back. "Hey. Everything's gonna be all right. Everything's gonna be just fine," she assures as he closes his eyes.

When he opens them, he realized that he was alone and just hugging himself. He sighs and lowers his arms to his side then looks out the window, seeing a woman sitting on the bench across the street. He turns and continues to clean up then looks up to see three men had gone up to the woman.

He watches as the situation unfolds, observing the man getting aggressive with the woman. Jacob quickly grabs a spoon and a pan, rushing out of the bakery. "Hey! That's enough," Jacob shouts at the men, who turn to face him. "Get outta here," he threatens firmly as he approaches.

"What's on your mind, baker boy?" one of the men challenges Jacob. "Jeez. You should be ashamed of yourselves," Jacob admonishes them. "Well, we're not," the man retorts. "It's a lady. I tell you what...I'll give you the first hit. Go ahead," Jacob offers, pointing to his cheek. "You sure?" the man hesitates, but before anything further happens, his body suddenly freezes up, and he collapses to the ground.

Jacob blinks in surprise, then looks up to see the woman wielding a wand, a smile playing on her lips. "Oh, boy," Jacob mutters to himself as the woman unfreezes the man. "Last time I ever help that woman out again. Lally!" the man shouts as he scrambles up, and Lally quickly changes her appearance.

"Whoopsie, Frank. Sometimes I forget my own strength. I'll take it from here. Thank you!" Lally exclaims, to which the man responds with a grateful tone as he moves away. "Welcome," Jacob hears him mutter as he departs. "Catch you later, Lally," the second man says, to which Lally responds cheerfully about a game.

"That's my cousin Stanley. He's a wizard," Lally informs Jacob happily, but Jacob's mood is not as bright. "No," he states firmly, turning back toward his bakery. "Please! It's early, don't make me work for it," Lally pleads as she follows him. "I said I wanted out, and I want out," Jacob reaffirms his decision.

"Come now, Mr. Kowalski," Lally urged, but Jacob remained resolute, retreating back into his bakery and locking the door behind him. "Can't believe my therapist said you wizards don't exist," he grumbled to himself, feeling frustrated. 

"What a waste of money!" he shouted in exasperation, turning to find Lally munching on one of his treats. "You do know I'm a witch, right?" she asked him casually, but Jacob sighed heavily. 

"Yeah. Look, you seem like a really nice witch. You don't know what I've been through with you people. So, could you please get out of my life?" Jacob requested as he opened the door again, expecting her to leave, but she remained rooted in place.