Chapter 16

3rd pov:

After attending to the Zouwu, Newt closes the case, and Genevieve scans the area only to notice Leta's absence. "Where's Leta?" Genevieve inquires, concerned. Newt wears a worried expression as Tina shrugs and responds, "I don't know..." The three of them then proceed to the cemetery, making their way towards the Lestrange Mausoleum.

Entering the Mausoleum, we spot Leta pointing her wand at Kama, who is not alone. Standing behind him are Jacob, Credence, and a woman with long dark hair dressed in a scaly blue gown, whom Genevieve doesn't recognize.

"So, he's your brother?" Credence asks Leta, who remains fixated on Kama. "Who am I?" Credence insists. "I don't know," Leta replies. Credence glares at Kama and Leta, voicing in a low tone, "I'm tired of living without a name or history. Just tell me my story, and then you can end it..."

"Your story is intertwined with ours," Kama responds, gesturing towards Leta and reiterating, "Our story."

"No, Yusuf—" Leta begins to plead, but Kama interrupts, "My father was Mustafa Kama, a pure-blood of Senegalese descent and highly accomplished. My mother, Laurena, was equally esteemed—a renowned beauty. They were deeply in love until a man of considerable influence, from a well-known French pure-blood family, desired her. Lestrange used the Imperius Curse to seduce and abduct her... that was the last time I saw her. She died giving birth to a baby girl." Kama explains, his gaze shifting to Leta. "You," he confirms, causing tears to well up in Leta's eyes.

"The news of her death drove my father mad. With his dying breath, he charged me with seeking revenge—kill the person Lestrange loves most in the world... Initially, I thought it would be simple... he had only one close relative... you. But—"

"Say it," Leta interjects angrily.

".... he never loved you," Kama admits. "He remarried within three months of her death. He loved his new wife no more than he had loved you... but then... his son, Corvus, was born. And that man, who had never known love, was consumed by it... all he cared about was little Corvus."

Credence looks at Kama in shock, questioning, "So... is this the truth? Am I Corvus Lestrange?"

"Yes," Kama affirms, but simultaneously Leta denies, "No."

Kama gazes at Leta, who seems momentarily distracted. "Realizing Mustafa Kama's son had vowed revenge, your father sought to conceal you from me. He entrusted you to his servant, who took you aboard a ship bound for America," he reveals to her.

"He did send Corvus to America, but—" Leta begins to explain before Kama redirects his attention to Credence, saying, "His servant, Irma Dugard, was a half-elf with weak magic, leaving no trace for me to follow. I had just discovered how you escaped when I received unexpected news—the ship sank at sea... yet, you survived, didn't you? Someone pulled you from the water!" Kama exclaims, taking a few deep breaths before continuing.

"A son banished cruelly. A daughter in despair. Return, avenger, borne on wings from the water," he recites, pointing at Leta as the despairing daughter, then at Credence as the winged raven returned from the sea. "But I am the avenger of my family's ruin," he proclaims, aiming his wand at Credence. "I pity you, Corvus, but you must die." However, before he can act...

"Corvus Lestrange is already dead. I killed him!" Leta screams, shocking Genevieve and the others. Leta sheds a few tears and summons a heavy box hidden in a corner with an "Accio!" spell.

As the gears click and the box transforms into a family tree, Leta explains, "My father possessed a peculiar family tree that only recorded the men, while the women were depicted as flowers—beautiful but separate." The tree materializes, showing portraits of the men and beautiful orchids beside them.