Chapter 18

3rd pov:

​​​Kweilin, China

1932

A lone raft drifts along the river in Kweilin, guided by a solitary man. As he steers the raft to shore, a little Bowtruckle leaps onto his suitcase. With his belongings in tow, he steps onto land and begins ascending the nearby hill.

Suddenly, a loud, mournful roar echoes through the area, causing Newt Scamander to pause in his tracks. Pickett, perched on Newt's shoulder, squeaks in response to the roar. Newt, discerning the distress in the creature's calls, realizes it's not anger but pain. "She's ready," he murmurs before proceeding up the hill.

At the hilltop, Newt discovers a pregnant Qilin in labor, emitting the agonizing roars. Gently placing his hand on her belly, Newt soothes the creature as it struggles to rise, momentarily startling him. "Easy there," Newt cautions as the Qilin regains its footing.

As the Qilin moves away, Newt notices a hatching egg nearby. The egg cracks open, revealing a newborn Qilin. Mesmerized by the sight, Newt watches the tender moment as the mother cleans her offspring.

"Now comes the challenging part," Newt remarks as he opens his suitcase. Sounds of movement can be heard from within until Genevieve Pendragon emerges, her gaze drawn to the majestic sight before her. "Such beauty," Genevieve marvels before sharing a smile with Newt.

Unbeknownst to them, lurking figures in the forest reveal themselves, also eyeing the Qilin. Before Genevieve fully exits the suitcase, a green flash strikes the mother, causing her to collapse. Newt and Genevieve, startled, turn to see three intruders, including Credence, indicating they are affiliated with Grindelwald.

As another spell targets the creature, Newt quickly erects a protective shield around them. "Get back inside," Newt instructs Genevieve, who complies, sealing the suitcase just as Credence breaches the shield with ease, creating an opening with his wand.

"Accio! " Newt cried out, aiming his wand at the suitcase. The case flew into his grasp, but as he began to run, he stumbled down the hill, losing grip of the case as it tumbled away. Amidst the chaos, the baby Qilin's cry rang out, urging Newt to hurry. Despite spells fired by Credence and his group, Newt dashed forward, snatching the Qilin and evading the spells.

Whistling sharply, Newt summoned a creature that extended its arms and legs, turning the case into a mobile unit. As Newt dodged more spells, he clutched the Qilin tightly. Despite a close encounter with one of Grindelwald's followers, Newt retaliated with a spell, forcing the assailant back.

As the chase continued and spells rained down, Newt found himself at the cliff's edge. Just as he tried to react, a spell struck him, causing him to plummet into the water below. Pickett, the Bowtruckle, sprang into action, guiding the baby Qilin to safety near Newt, who was slowly regaining consciousness. Unfortunately, Credence and his allies managed to seize the Qilin and escape.

Struggling to his feet, Newt returned to the injured mother Qilin, providing solace during her final moments. "I'm deeply sorry," Newt whispered remorsefully to her. Suddenly, he noticed movement nearby.

Turning around, Newt discovered another baby Qilin approaching him cautiously. Overwhelmed with relief, Newt cradled the baby in his arms, realizing they were twins. As the mother Qilin passed away peacefully, a tear fell from Newt's eye, contrasting with the joy of the baby Qilin nuzzling against him.

Pickett and Newt opened the suitcase, revealing Teddy the Niffler. Soon after, Genevieve emerged from the case's upper half.

"Newt, are you alright?" Genevieve asked, concerned. Observing the motionless mother Qilin, she inquired about what had happened. "Grindelwald's people killed her and took one of the Qilins," Newt explained, gesturing to the baby in his arms.