Chapter 10

3rd pov:

"The Obscurial was killed on my orders, Mr. Graves," Picquery said as she emerged from behind the group. "Yes. And history will surely note that, Madam President," Graves replied, moving towards her along the platform with a threatening tone.

"What was done here tonight was not right!" Graves exclaimed.

"He was responsible for the death of a No-Maj. He risked the exposure of your community. He has broken one of our most sacred laws-" Picquery's voice rose with anger as Graves bitterly laughed.

"A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter! A law that demands that we conceal our true nature! A law that directs those under its dominion to cower in fear lest we risk discovery! I ask you, Madam President-" He gestured to the Muggles above. "I ask all of you-who does this law protect? Us?" He then pointed upwards. "Or them?" He smiled bitterly. "I refuse to bow down any longer." With that, he walked away.

"Aurors, I'd like you to relieve Mr. Graves of his wand and escort him back to-" Picquery's command was interrupted by a white light appearing in front of Graves, blocking his path. He stopped and stared before turning around and launching spells at the group of Aurors.

Spells flew back and forth, but Graves parried them all. In a split second, Newt pulled the cocoon from his pocket, releasing the Swooping Evil, which soared around Graves, shielding Newt, Genevieve, and Tina from his spells. Genevieve seized the moment, casting "Lentum captionem!" A crackling rope of supernatural light wrapped around Graves like a whip. He struggled against it but eventually fell to his knees, dropping his wand. "Accio," Tina shouted, summoning Graves's wand into her hand. Newt took Genevieve's hand as they slowly approached Graves, who glared at them with deep hatred in his eyes. "Revelio," Newt cast, revealing the true identity of the man before them-it was Grindelwald!

Madam Picquery moved towards him as Grindelwald looked up at her with his haunting blue eyes. "Do you think you can hold me?" He asked her with contempt. "We'll do our best, Mr. Grindelwald," she replied as the two of them stared intently at each other for a moment before two Aurors forced him to his feet and moved him forward.

As Grindelwald reached Newt and Genevieve, he paused, both smiling and sneering. He looked over at them as Newt pushed her behind him, shielding her from the Dark wizard, while Genevieve glared at Grindelwald. "Will we die, just a little?" He asked before being led away, up and out of the subway.

A few minutes later, Queenie and Jacob pushed their way through to the front of the Aurors. Queenie hugged Tina and Genevieve, while Jacob handed the case to Newt. "Hey, figured somebody oughta keep an eye on this thing," Jacob said with a smirk. "Thank you," Newt replied, completely grateful. Genevieve walked over to Jacob, smiling, "And one's life-long work," she said as she hugged him, earning a smirk from Jacob.

"We owe you two an apology, Mr. Scamander and Miss Pendragon," Picquery said as Genevieve nodded.

"Yeah, you do," she muttered, earning a playful jab from Newt for being too forward.

"But the magical community is exposed! We cannot Obliviate an entire city," Picquery continued, staring through the broken roof of the subway. Genevieve followed her gaze and noticed something that captured her interest.

She nudged Newt, and he looked over at her. She jerked her head in the direction of the small black matter of the Obscurus floating away. Newt understood her signal and gave her a small smile before turning his attention back to Picquery. "Actually, I think we can," he said confidently, placing his case underneath the huge hole and opening it.

Genevieve stood back as Frank came flying out of the case. Newt and Genevieve moved forward and examined Frank, a look of real tenderness and pride on their faces. "We were intending to wait until we got to Arizona, but it seems like now you are our only hope, Frank," Newt said to the creature. He reached out his arm, and Frank pressed his beak lovingly into the embrace, nuzzling each other affectionately. Genevieve smiled as Frank, gently, pulled away from Newt and moved over to her. She waved her wand, summoning a few grubs as she fed him for the last time. Frank screeched in joy, and Genevieve chuckled and stroked his head, and he started to nuzzle her. "I'll miss you too, buddy," Genevieve whispered to him. Newt joined them, stroking Frank's head again, tears forming in his eyes. "Both of us will miss you," Newt said, a lump in his throat.