TWENTY-THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: ACCEPTANCE

EMMA AND CHARLIE WERE STILL STRUGGLING AGAINST THE STRINGS AROUND THEIR NECKS.

It made Maggie look at them with worry and then give a look to Grace, who landed on the ground. The kids exchanged looks and ran forward together, but Grace yanked them back by the strings. Both of them fell to the ground and Maggie took immediate action. She sent a green blast at Grace, throwing the witch back and setting the two children free.

Emma and Charlie rushed to Maggie and she pulled out her apartment key. She gave it to Emma. "Here's the key to the apartment, Emma. You two go upstairs and do not come down until it's safe."

"No," Emma refused.

"We want to help," Charlie said.

"Listen to you mother, children," Grace mocked, back on her feet.

"Go upstairs. Now," Maggie repeated sternly, making Emma and Charlie rush into the building.

Maggie then sent another blast at Grace, causing the witch hunch forward. However, when she straightened up, she was holding a ball of green energy in her hands, staring in awe.

"I take power from the undeserving," Grace explained. "One of the tricks of the trade I learned from Agatha. She was foolish to have taught me so much."

Maggie felt her right hand squelch and looked down at it. The skin clung to the bones, becoming a gray color. She only numbness, as if her hand had decayed. A black blast hit Maggie in the stomach, sending her flying down the road.

"You're clearly undeserving of the power you hold," Grace said as Maggie go to her feet. "So, why you just go ahead and surrender your power to someone who can use it correctly. If you, I can take away all of your pain. Do we have a deal?"

Maggie twisted green mist in her hand and sent a car flying towards Grace. It sent Grace flying into a nearby building. However, she wasn't down for long and flew into the air and into the night sky. Maggie put her hands at her side and followed suit to stop her.

The greenette followed Grace to the GRC building and landed on the ground. She looked around as people gave her strange looks because she was wearing her green catsuit and her was in a messy ponytail. Maggie pushed through the crowd and reached a clear enough spaces at the building's entrance. She looked around, but it was silent. Then she fell to the ground when a black blast hit her.

"You've never been up against another witch before, Maggie," Grace said.

Maggie got to her feet with an angry expression, seeing Grace standing at the top of the building.

"Do you know there is an entire chapter devoted to you in the Darkhold. That's the book of the damned," Grace continued before reciting a passage by memory. "Unlike the Scarlet Witch, the Fell Star is both born and forged. She has no coven, no incantation. She is a being of power and wisdom who bends the power of Infinity at her will. You are the only Nexus being capable of wielding Fell Magic," she then proceeded dramatic. "Like I said...infinite power."