FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: TEST IN MAGGIE'S TEMPER

"I GAVE SHARON A CALL."

Sam said, walking up the steep pavement. They were in the streets of Riga once again. Maggie, Bucky, and Zemo behind him. Maggie simply rolled her eyes from Sharon's name being mentioned.

"Handed her the information and the data I had collected so that she could do the rest of the hacking and fill us in on-"

"Karli Morganthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit," said a familiar voice.

The group looked up to see John Walker and his partner Lamar Hoskins jogging down the steps towards them. Maggie's expression became of total irritation.

"Can I kill him now?" She asked the group before turning back to John as the walked up the slope. "How'd you find us now?"

"Oh come on," Lamar scoffed. "You think three Avengers can walk around Latvia without drawing attention?"

"No more keeping us in the dark. You could start by telling us why you broke him," John started, pointing at Zemo, "out of prison."

"He did that himself, technically," Bucky corrected.

"This better be an unbelievable explana-"

"Hey, take it easy before it gets weird," Sam said, pushing John back slightly.

"I know where Karli is," Zemo announced, walking forward.

"Well, where?"

"All we know is, it's a memorial," Sam answered. "So we're gonna intercept her there."

"That means civilians. High risk of casualties," Lamar said as they all followed Zemo up the slope.

"All right, good, we'll move in fast. Take her by surprise," John said.

"No, I wanna talk to her alone," Sam said, glancing at John.

"I'm not losing her again."

"The person closest to her died, she's vulnerable. And that means now is the right time to reason with her," Maggie explained.

"What? No. Wait, no!" John stammered. "No! Stop. Hold on. Stop, okay? I think we're way past reasoning with her," he stopped in front of the group. "Unless you forgot that she blew up a building with people still in it."

"Sam, you walk in there cold, she could kill you," Lamar agreed.

"And I go in there hot and the op goes wrong, more people will die," Sam pointed out.

"You're gonna let him do this?" John asked Maggie and Bucky. "Are you two gonna let your partner walk into a room with a Super Soldier alone?"

"Sam can handle himself just fine," Maggie answered, crossing her arms.

"And he's dealt with worse," Bucky added. "And Maggie's my partner, not him."

"I used to counsel soldiers dealing with trauma, okay?" Sam stepped closer to John. "This is in my wheelhouse."

"I know," John replied. "And I know those soldiers, which is why I know this is a bad idea."

"Wait John," Lemar said. "If he can talk her down, it might be worth a try."

John shook his head, conflicted at first but then agreed. He then turned to Zemo. "We'll deal with you later."

"I'm sure it will all come to an agreeable conclusion," Zemo calmly spoke. "My associate is just up ahead."