Destiny

— VENICE —

Stripes of the sun's penetrating gaze fell across my face. Sinking under my eyelids, I stirred with a yawn.

I pointed my toes and flexed my wrists. Along with the usual joint popping and cracking, my muscles ached from exhaustion. I grinned at the memory of my night with Liam.

Or should I say, memories? There was quite a lot to reflect on.

Long, pale fingers moved across my stomach, and warm breath tickled at my neck.

"Good morning," I whispered.

"Don't speak," he groaned. "I don't want to get up yet."

I snorted. "Speaking doesn't mean we have to get up."

"This is how it always begins."

He yawned and pulled me into him. While I lay flat on my back, he was stretched out on his side.

"I forgot you sleep like a dead person," he muttered.

"Well, you sleep like a . . . squid."

"A squid?" He laughed. "What am I? A knock-off octopus?"

I attempted to crawl off the mattress but the tangle of bed sheets and limbs held me in the warm cocoon.

"Where are you off to?" Liam pouted.

"I have to pee."

"You said we didn't have to get up."

Shaking my head, I chuckled. "Except for basic necessities!"

This time I managed to successfully break away from the bed prison and slip into the bathroom. After I did my business, I took a glance in the mirror and was struck with horror. My hair was five piles of rat nests and dregs of mascara caked in the folds of my under eyes.

I stomped over to the shower and cranked it on. While I waited for the water to heat, I sniffed at myself and nearly gagged. I smelled like tears and sex.

"What are you doing in there?" Liam called from the bedroom. "Miss Sweeney?"

"I'm showering!"

There was quiet and I took the chance to hop into the steaming hot spray. The glass door opened behind me, allowing Liam and a rush of cold air into the shower. I shivered.

"Cold, baby?" he asked, pulling me into his arms.

I nodded and turned the water up. Hands gripped my hips. Melting against his nude form, I let out a sigh.

"Let me warm you up," he purred.

After a long soak in the shower, Liam got dressed and started on coffee. Meanwhile, I combed my hair and gathered my clothes from the dryer. I wasn't thrilled to be doing the walk of shame but I had no choice.

I need to go get my suitcase at least, I realized. All of my important things were still at Macay's mother's house. I had clothes back in Utah but I assumed I'd never see those again.

Liam slid a mug of coffee to me across the island as I approached, resting my elbows against the granite countertop.

"Thanks," I said, flashing him a small smile. I sipped from the mug and stole glances at him.

"You're welcome." He smiled crookedly back. "So, what would you like for breakfast?"

I shrugged. "I'm not too hungry. I'm surprised you have food here, though."

His brows knitted together. "Actually, I don't. We have to be out by eleven o'clock also. We can swing by a diner or something, though."

"Sounds good."