The Chase

— VENICE —

"It's intimidating at first," Jane was telling me, "but it's kind of fun. Run like hell, girl, and make him for work it."

I blinked up at the tall blonde in disbelief. "I'm human and five foot tall. I seriously doubt I can outrun a werewolf."

Nelly barked out a laugh that eerily reminded me of a witch's.

"We get five minutes," Jane tried to assure me. "You'll have plenty of time."

"No, she won't," Nelly said. "Look at those short little legs. She needs a whole lot of help."

I frowned.

"Don't worry, though." She winked, elbowing me in the ribs. "I'll give you a lift."

"A what? How? Is that even legal?"

Nelly shrugged, tousling her thick auburn curls. "All is fair in love and war, baby."

"Not true," I muttered under my breath.

She wrapped an arm around me and hugged me to her lean side. "You're so tiny and adorable. If you don't go with Macay, you can come live with us! I'd love to have a little pocket human."

"A pocket human?" Jane gasped. "What in the hell are you on about?"

I blew out a sigh, which set off Nelly's eruption of laughter once more.

"Are you two harassing my guest?" asked a smooth, feminine voice.

We all turned to acknowledge Maisie. Her mask was back in place, her ethereal beauty stunning everyone as confidence rolled off of her in waves. Her red lips curled back in a wry smirk.

"My Queen," said Jane as she and Nelly bowed. They both shot me warning looks when I didn't budge.

Instead, I leveled Maisie's cool gaze. This woman had no power over me and I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of seeing me cower. I had enough issues with real forms of authority.

"Are you sure I shouldn't sit this out?" I said. "What if I get trampled or eaten or someone mistakes me for their mate?"

Maisie laughed. "Oh, trust me, darling. That won't happen."

"Are you participating?" I asked her.

Both women stared blatantly at me while I focused on the Queen's every facial expression and body shift. She was easy for me to read now that I'd invaded into her biggest insecurity and fear: losing her title.

Her actions made it clear enough that she didn't love or care about Alasdair. She just didn't want to relinquish her status and power.

I felt truly sad for the King Alpha. He looked at her like she hung the night sky and, to her, he was just a stepping stone ahead had to step on to get ahead.

"Oh, no. Alas and I don't do these silly games anymore."

"Silly?" Jane repeated, frowning.

My dislike for Maisie inched higher. "What makes them silly? I thought they were cherished tradition."

Maisie scowled at me.

"I'm sure she just means that she and King Alpha get more enjoyment out of these events as spectators these days," Nelly replied, her tone even keel. Judging by the flatness in her eyes, she wasn't a fan of the high and mighty Queen Alpha either.

"Indeed," Maisie responded with a severe look and stern voice. "The Chase will begin soon. Take your places, ladies. We'll be watching."

I glared at her retreating form. I'd seriously met enough asshole supernatural royalty to last my whole lifetime. After this, I wanted to go back to living like none of them existed. My life was so delightfully simple back then.