Interviews

— VENICE —

Even though I knew I had gained a few pounds over the winter, I didn't realize I had gained this much weight. I'd always been more on the soft side.

I didn't usually mind my curves, as I'd always been this way. Of course, any woman had insecurities and I was no different.

This felt like a new low, though. My tummy felt a bit more bloated than usual. I rubbed a hand over my midsection with a sigh.

I turned to look at my ass in the mirror, which usually helped me feel better. I was proud of my backside and thank god it looked the same as always.

"You almost ready?" Isaiah called through the door.

I jumped, my hands flying to cover my bra and panties, even though the door was closed. I had to get used to living with a guy.

"Almost!" I hollered back.

I snatched my interview dress—a royal blue peplum dress with a thin, white waist belt—off the bed and pulled it on over my head. Then I jammed my feet into a pair of white heels. They were close-toed and tight around my toes, but they were so cute.

My eyes flickered back up to the mirror while I fumbled with the zipper.

"We're gonna be late!" Isaiah yelled from somewhere deeper in the house.

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed my purse on the way out of my room. "I'm coming, I'm coming!"

Isaiah didn't even spare me a glance as we headed to the front door.

He wore a light blue button-up with a black tie and black slacks for work. I was impressed, considering he always wore basketball shorts and t-shirts.

"Don't you look fancy," I teased him.

"Is it too much?"

"No. I mean, I don't think so? You look cute, Iz."

He cringed. "Never use that word and my name again, please."

I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I'm driving, by the way," he said.

"But you are getting dropped off first," I said. "It makes more sense for me to drive."

He locked the front door and then followed my scuttling heels down to the car. The little silver bullet was technically his vehicle, but he had agreed to share it with me until I could afford to buy one. I had been saving since I first started working but it wasn't enough yet to buy anything but junk metal.

"You are a terrible driver," he responded. "Like hell, I'm placing my life in your hands."

He beat me to the driver's side and got in. Huffing, I slid into the passenger seat.

"You're the one with all the traffic violations," I muttered.

"I've never been in an accident, though."

"It wasn't even my fault!"

I'd been involved in a minor accident once when I was in high school but it wasn't even my fault. Since then, he'd given me hell for my driving skills. Or lack thereof, according to him.

He was just a punk.

As we backed out of the driveway, I pulled down the mirror to check over my makeup and hair again. My eyes incidentally fell onto Liam's house. The curtains in the living room window twitched.

My gaze narrowed on the spot but I couldn't see him or anything. Maybe he had a cat.

We listened to the radio for the next ten minutes until Isaiah pulled up to the professional park where his work building was. He didn't drive like a bat out of hell like he usually did, so I assumed he must have been more nervous than he let on.