Family Connections

— LIAM —

The bricked horseshoe driveway swarmed with royal guards all afternoon as guests left the mansion. The activities must have been winding down for the day.

Although I'd rather be doing anything but watching people come and leave this place, the window offered more entertainment than the plain white walls of my detainment room.

The lycans could call it whatever they wanted but it was a prison cell. I wrapped my hands around the steel bars on the interior of the window. They were freezing against my palms but my mind was more occupied with the sight unfolding before me.

A flash of honey-blonde hair emerged from the mansion. She looked smaller than ever beside the hulking frame of the raven-haired Alpha.

My teeth gnashed together. His hand rested on the small of her back, guiding her forward. Their figures advanced toward a white SUV parked in the bend of the horseshoe.

I tried to pry the steel bars apart but they were too strong even for me.

What was she doing? Was she leaving with him?

"Venice," I hissed, even knowing she couldn't hear me. "VENICE!"

The Alpha paused, his gaze flicking up to my window. His eyes narrowed and I growled.

That was my fucking mate he was taking. Mine.

I felt just as helpless as I had when watching the Princeps carry her away.  She seems tense and reluctant, refusing to get in the car at first.

She doesn't want to go.

Realizing she didn't want to leave me only brought momentary relief before I realized that meant she'd been coerced into leaving. Venice wouldn't just leave me here if she had a choice. She wouldn't do that to me.

My hands pulled away from the bars to curl into fists. I tried to slam them against the window but my fists were met with flexible plastic instead of glass.

A prison made just for supernaturals, I realized with a bitter scoff.

She climbed into the car now and a pang of terror gripped me.

Why was he taking her with him? Was he just escorting her or were they leaving together?

I knew the answer already. Of course, he was taking her with him. She was his "second chance." It was bullshit. I'd been around a long time and I'd never heard of such a thing.

I tried to warn Venice, but it was up to her whether she believed him or me.

Was the King Alpha in on it? Macay had no authority over her but Alasdair did. He must have been the one who insisted she leave with him.

But why? Why would Alasdair have any strong opinion on her life?

She was a human and she had no involvement with his domain, aside from this weekend experience.

My speculations weren't going to get me anywhere, but I could do nothing but watch this lycan take her away. 

I wouldn't in this situation had I not tried to control Eleanor, but what else could I do? She was attacking Venice and she wasn't listening to me. Had I not intervened, she could have killed Venice.