The Charge

— VENICE —

Our peace in the Sanctuary didn't last long.

Four days passed after Ptolemy's visit, all much the same. Liam spent all day and sometimes even all night with Rob, while I got supervised outdoor play time and library time with Ophelia like a prisoner.

I was grateful to be safe but I was not thrilled about being watched any time I stepped out of our bedroom.

When I tried to offer my assistance to the guys, Liam refused to tell me what they were scheming. He didn't want me involved for my safety.

I knew things were tense with Rob, so I didn't push it. War was coming and they had to prepare as best as they could.

So I kept my mouth shut and drifted through the halls of this historical mansion like a ghost.

In the middle of the night on the fourth day, Liam and I were woken from our sleep by Ophelia.

"Get up!" she said loudly. Her cold hands shook me roughly. "You must get up. Quickly! We are under attack."

Liam was already out of bed and pulling clothes on before I'd even sat up.

The Princeps were back and this time they wouldn't be leaving without getting what they wanted. I could only assume it was to kill us all based on what I heard from the others.

Stumbling onto the floor, I shoved my feet into sneakers and ran after the other two. Liam charged down the way.

Ophelia cleared her throat. "I'll take her to the safe room—"

"No!" Liam barked without looking back at us. "She stays with me."

I gawked at the ferocity in his voice. My eyes jumped to Ophelia.

Her eyes were wide with shock too. What the hell was he thinking?

"Liam," I hissed, struggling to keep up with my short legs. "Are you crazy? What're you th—oof!"

He stopped so abruptly that I ran into him. Before I could blink, he'd hoisted my waist onto his back and legs around his waist.

We sped off at a truly terrifying speed. My eyelids snapped shut to keep the swell of nausea in my stomach at bay.

When we reached the foyer, the room was cramped full of shifted crossbreeds. Liam struggled to maneuver around them all and we earned several warning growls as we went.

I could barely make out Rob's thick dark hair at the head of the crowd. He started talking and the entire room went quiet.

". . . hesitation will get us killed," Rob was saying. "If we get killed, there is no one left to stand up for our kind. The Princeps are malicious and greedy. Their ancient reign can only be stopped by ending them. Your brothers and sisters are holding the perimeter but you all will bring the fight. Am I understood?"

A mighty crescendo of roars sounded, shaking the floors. The hair on my neck and arms stood.

Amidst all of these powerful beasts, I was merely human. Each of them could devour or break me without trying.

Rob motioned to the two crossbreeds by the door, and they opened them. The masse funneled through the doors, disappearing into the early morning.

Liam kept me strapped to his back while holding a pillar. He waited until the room had emptied before approaching Rob, who seemed engaged in serious discussion with Ophelia. As we neared the couple, he pecked her lips and sent her back into the main house.

"Why is she here?" Rob demanded with a glance at me.

"She's staying with me and you can't force me to do otherwise," Liam replied just as firmly.