Sacrifices

— LIAM —

"About time," Blaine said. "I expected you twenty minutes ago."

A bead of sweat trickled down my neck as I jogged toward the ramshackle apartments. My legs burned from the effort it took to slow down. I'd been running for five full hours today and everything felt stiff.

"They wanted to haggle," I told him, puffing out a breath. "I got them for twice, still."

The front door opened and Millie emerged. She appraised me with a soft smile before acknowledging her husband, who looked as agitated as ever.

"Good," he said gruffly as he snatched the two empty cloth bags that hung limply over my forearm. "I got a call while you were out. You have another run to make tonight. Six o'clock."

I rested my damp palms on my hips and sucked in a deep breath. More sweat poured down my face.

"This was my last run, Blaine," I reminded him, narrowing my eyes. "I've been doing this for weeks."

"One more won't kill you," he scoffed.

He turned to walk back into the flat where he, undoubtedly, planned to refill the bags with product. Despite my fatigue, I countered his inane remake.

"We had a deal," I said. "I leave tomorrow. This was my last run."

Blaine spun back to me, his shoulder quivering. His beady eyes burned like hot coals. "I took you in, fed you, offered you protection under my coven. These little favors are the least you could do. You're lucky I'm letting you leave at all."

His little favors required hours and hours of labor, communication with shady criminals from practically every London borough, and risky situations with human law enforcement that I'd avoided by the skin of my teeth. I accepted the agreement with Blaine as a temporary solution. Now that I had a plan in place to get my mate back, that solution had met its end.

"I made the terms of my acceptance clear," I said.

"You work for me until you leave," he snapped. "You will take this job or I will exile you from the coven."

"Blaine," Millie chided in a timid but frustrated tone.

She wrapped her hand around his arm but he violently ripped himself away. She flinched back, cowering a bit as his face contorted in a pinch of fury.

I stepped toward him and my lips curled back in a sneer. He had done god knew what to her in the past, but I'd be damned before watching him hurt her in front of me.

"You're doing this run," he snarled at me. "Another word and I won't let you leave for another two weeks."

My lips peeled back to snap back but Millie shot me a warning look. I could challenge Blaine and attempt to pummel him to hell, but he would probably beat me, especially with how physically drained I was. And if I somehow bested him, I would then have to assume the responsibilities of coven leader and that was not something that would ever interest me.

The only things I cared about were finding my mate and getting my sister away from this shit hole. Sacrificing my pride and body, no matter how painful, was worth the reward.

I nodded and sighed. Blaine gave me one last smug look before sauntering off.

Once he was out of sight, Millie ran up to me and placed her cold palms on my cheeks. Her eyes gleamed with moisture.

"Are you okay? You look sick."

"I am weak," I said. "I just need to sit down and have some blood. I'll be fine."