Don't Eat People

— VENICE —

After my intense conversation with Liam, I excused myself to clean up in the en-suite bathroom. The rooms were connected through a white, wooden sliding door.

Like the rest of the refurbished old mansion, the floor was made of polished pine slats and the walls were covered in a dark green fabric. The shower looked freshly renovated with black marble tile and tall glass panes. A soaking tub stood in the corner with the vanity beside it.

I used the toilet and spent extra time washing my hands and cleaning up my face. Most of the makeup was gone when I finished.

With nothing else to do, I reluctantly met my gaze in the mirror. The reflection peering back at me broke my heart.

My eyes were sad, chapped lips downturned, hair askew in a frizzy, knotted mess. I looked like a wild animal.

Everything about this situation came crashing down on me. I was trapped in some supernatural mastermind's secluded house, and the only person I remotely trusted was Liam, who I still didn't that well.

Could I even consider him a friend?

The memory of our kiss drenched my face in heat. I didn't know if I wanted him as a friend or something more, but I knew this wasn't exactly the time to be getting involved with him.

My life turned into a literal nightmare in one day.
Isaiah would probably never know what happened to me. We would never see each other again.

And my parents . . . I would never see them again either. They probably thought I was abducted or killed. I wasn't one to just disappear, so they would know that something terrible had happened to me.

My heart hurt knowing what fear and confusion they were probably experiencing. I never wanted to be the cause of their sadness or grief.

If only there was a way for me to tell them I was fine and safe.

Except even that would be a lie. My mind was a fucking wreck and I couldn't stop trembling. Not to mention I didn't know if this place actually was safe.

Rob's gorgeous mansion seemed safe, but my guard was up. Pretty, nice things weren't always what they seemed. I couldn't be too cautious surrounded by creatures that could rip my head off in the blink of an eye.

Tears overflowed from my eyes and carved tiny rivers down my blotchy cheeks. I sank to the floor and rested my back against the sink, pushing my face into my hands.

A soft knock sounded at the door. "You okay in there?"

I startled, sitting up and wiping my face. Liam could probably hear my meltdown through the door. I cleared my voice.

"Just a sec," I said.

"Can I come in?" Liam's gentle voice came through the crack under the door.

I took a deep breath to ground myself. There was little point in trying to pretend I was fine when he could literally hear me losing it in here.

"Yeah," I murmured.

The door swung inward and I moved my leg to allow him inside. My misty eyes flickered up to Liam's face.