The Hunt

— LIAM —

The cutest little moan slipped through Venice's pink lips. She turned onto her side, clutching my arm tighter.

I lost all feeling to my fingers about forty-five minutes ago, but I'd rather saw my arm off than take it away from her.

She was entrancing. I memorized every rounded curve of her cheeks and her mouth, the smooth crest of her nose, and the slope of her curved chin.

I stroked my free hand through her hair. It was a little dirty and knotted but extremely soft and lustrous.

I'd never been so entranced by a human before. She would be difficult for others to pick from a crowd, but something about her subtle beauty and charming personality summoned me.

The most absurd part of it all was that she had no idea the claim she held over me. Whether she realized it or not, her delicate little hands held the scraps of my jaded heart.

I would do anything to protect her and that was how we ended up here, in this place.

If we had any other choice, I would have taken it. But the Princeps were after me and now her, and there was no safer place than behind the tall gates of Rob's mansion, guarded by crossbreeds.

I would not allow our safety to come at the expense of Rob accosting Venice, though.

He was sexually deviant and would not let up once he set his sights on anything that intrigued him. The rumors of his voracious appetite reached far and wide across supernatural circles.

Venice would not become another member of his harem.

Some amount of time passed when light footfalls sounded down the hallway. The visitor paused outside the door. I lifted my head to sniff at the air and recognized it as the petite woman who brought us to this room earlier, Ophelia.

She knocked before pushing the door open and poked her head inside. I watched her with wary eyes. I was weak from exhaustion and thirst but I would remain on the defense so long as we stayed within these walls.

I hardly trusted Rob, much less any of his cronies.

"Forgive me for interrupting," she said. "A servant has brought lunch to your room. If either of you have food allergies, please let him know so we can cater to you as such."

"Thank you," I said.

She nodded, her eyes falling to the figure curled up beside me. I resisted the urge to growl at her.

"I will return in a few hours to invite you to dinner," she added, turning to leave. "Master Lupei asks that you dress in the clothes he has provided."

Ophelia performed a half-bow, revealing two holes in the side of her neck.

"Of course," I said and she twirled off.

A groan brought my attention down to Venice. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and glanced up at me.

"Hello, sleeping beauty," I whispered, smiling gently.

"Hi," she replied, voice raspy and thick with sleep.

She rolled off my arm and sat up. The sheets fell down to her lap as she stretched her arms over her head.