A Royal Ball

— LIAM —

I couldn't take my eyes off of my mate.

As nervous and terrified about these next few hours as I was, Venice's calm demeanor and gorgeous little body placated me. I wished to take her far, far away somewhere we could be alone.

She would never leave my sight again this was over with. I would mark her to make our mating official and then we were going to make a home for ourselves in some new place.

As the yacht docked, I wrapped an arm around her waist and guided her off the ship. Guards hovered near us, looking about.

They were all tense and visibly agitated. We were on lycan territory now.

Royal lycan territory, at that.

Venice tottered along beside me in the impressively tall heels she wore. It was strange seeing her head at the same level as my shoulder. I couldn't deny that I appreciated her mouth and throat at a closer proximity.

Since we first mated, I'd been craving to mark her. I wanted her to be fully aware of the commitment before I did that, though.

Not only would it marry us, but it would grant her a lifespan as long as mine. Not quite immortal, but damn near close.

My posture gradually stiffened the further we walked along the lantern-lit path. Night had fallen during our travels across the English Channel.

We were led to a white Rolls Royce where a driver held the back door open for us. Two guards entered the car with us.

My teeth grit. No jumping out of the car then.

I had imagined several contingency plans in anticipation of this moment. I thought through all the paths we could potentially take between arrival in England and reaching the Alpha King's estate on the outskirts of London.

Escape was not the wisest decision right now, anyway. While I didn't trust that the Princeps wouldn't try to kill us after we completed this task, I didn't have another way to keep Venice safe.

As long as she was a human, we had to take the highest precautions. She didn't even realize how fragile she was, how delicate mortal life could be.

The car lurched into motion. I tightened my grip around Venice and she snuggled into me. She breathed deeply, sleepily.

She was probably exhausted. God knew what they'd done to her in the last few days.

My ribs still ached from the Ptolemy's cane. As part of my punishment, I had to endure 100 strikes with his cane.

My ribs took almost a full day to mend. It was some of the worst pain I'd experienced in a long time.

"How long of a drive?" mumbled Venice.

I laced my fingers through hers and cradled her cold hands in my lap. "About an hour. London's a little inland."

She nodded. "You've been before?"

"You could say that," I said, smiling a little.

Her eyes sprang open as she arched a brow at me. "What does that mean?"

"I have close ties with London. Family ties."

"Family?" She perked up.

Feeling the gaze of the guards, I shook my head. "Later," I said.

Her face fell. I squeezed her hand and sighed.

"You'll know much more soon," I whispered. "I promise."