Lethal Kitty

— VENICE —

By the time Marvin was admitted to the hospital, the ER doctor said Marvin had only a little scratch.

"I've never seen so much blood from such a small wound," the grey-haired man said, chuckling in confusion. "He's practically already healed."

"What do you mean he's already healed?" Isaiah demanded. "He was just bleeding out at the driveway! He can't just be miraculously healed!"

A few other people in the waiting room looked at us. I grabbed Isaiah's arm and squeezed him gently.

"Inside voices, Iz," I said.

He shot me an agitated look. "I watched my best friend fucking die. Don't scold me."

That silenced me.

"He's not dead," the doctor said. "It may be a miracle—I truly have no explanation for this. Would you two like to go back and see him? He's asleep, but you're welcome to wait in his room."

"Yes, let's go," Isaiah said, shaking off my hand.

I wrapped my arm around my middle and followed the doctor and Isaiah down the hallway. My thoughts churned against me.

What if Liam had killed Marvin? He could have easily bled to death. I didn't know how he was alive, truthfully.

The blood never seemed like it would stop flowing. It was all over my clothes and Isaiah's, too. We probably looked like we stepped off the set of a low-budget horror movie.

We entered the room and a nurse was checking the IV hooked up to Marvin's arm. His fingers twitched but his eyes remained shut.

Isaiah went directly to his bedside, crowding a bit into the nurse's space. She took one glance at him and immediately excused herself.

I sighed. "She's just doing her job, Isaiah."

He breathed hard, looking over Marvin's body, and then sat down. His heated gaze landed back on the doctor.

"When will he wake up?" Isaiah asked, voice clipped.

"Any time," the doctor said. "I've got to step out now, but please let a nurse know if he wakes up."

"Of course," I said while my cousin stared broodily at the floor.

Just as the doctor turned to leave, a croaky voice filled the room. "That won't be necessary, Doc."

We all turned to look at Marvin. His complexion was ashen but he flashed us his classic smirk.

"Glad to see you've come around, Marvin," the doctor said. "It seems you're a bit of a miracle right now.

"I apologize for all the fuss. The ladies always said I was a miracle if you know what I mean."

The doctor called for a nurse to come in as he got started on checking Marvin's vitals.

"Dude, what the hell?" Isaiah hissed. "I thought you were going to die! How can you be joking right now?"

Marvin shrugged. "I've thought that many a time and look! Still here. Sadly. You know I'm a hard fucker to kill, bro."

I shook my head, biting back a chuckle.

"Can I take another look at your neck?" inquired the doctor.

"That won't be necessary. It's all healed up. No scabs. Nothing. I'm healthy as a horse. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I never got to eat today, and I would very much like to eat an entire pizza. So, if we could wrap this process up, that would be great."