(Un)Fit For a Queen

— VENICE —

As the impact sent me flying backward, my arms flailed around in one last-ditch effort to catch myself.

I could already imagine how I would look, sprawled out on the polished floors in this gorgeous dress, breathless and flushed and in tears. I'd be the laughingstock of the ball.

Before I could land flat on my back, an arm slipped around my waist. I was pulled smoothly back onto the balls of my feet. My hands automatically flew up to balance myself against the broad chest of what must be a huge dude.

"I'm terribly sorry," murmured a masculine voice with an English accent.

I removed my hands right away and looked up, taking a deep breath to calm my nerves. A pair of rich, amber-colored eyes framed with long, black lashes and deeply tanned skin peered down at me.

This man was much older, probably in his fifties, with a few graying hairs at his temples and a salt-and-pepper beard trimmed closely to his cheeks. While he was dazzling to look at, he emitted an aura that left my hair standing on end.

"No, forgive me," I said in a rushed voice. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

My gaze glanced about and I realized eyes were on us. Like, a lot of eyes. As in, all the eyes.

Shit.

"Please, don't apologize," the man said. "Are you alright?"

His hands relinquished their grip on my waist and I turned pink at realizing how closely we stood. He must have been six and a half feet tall from how high his face was from mine, even in these heels.

"I'm fine, thank you," I whispered. My gaze turned to the floor while I struggled to keep my cool for the hundredth time today.

"I don't believe we've ever met," he said. "I'm Alasdair Hastings."

Wetting my lips, I met his eyes again and shook his hand politely. "Venice Sweeney," I said. "Pleasure to meet you."

He released my hand and folded his arms behind his back with a slight bow. "Are you here with your mate, Miss Sweeney?"

"No, she is not," said a familiar feminine voice.

I looked over to see the woman from the corridor approaching us. She flashed Alasdair a plastic smile.

Her sharp eyes then landed on me, gleaming with malicious intent. I shivered.

"Maisie, darling, I'm glad you found me," Alasdair said as he wrapped an arm around her waist. "I've been looking for you."

They shared a chaste kiss and placed a dainty hand on his chest. My eyes widened.

This was not the guy she'd been all over just minutes ago. And I had a good idea of where she'd been—or at least who she was with—while he searched for her.

"I see you have already met Miss Sweeney?" he asked her.

"We started chatting in the loo," she replied. "Not many humans around here, so I thought I'd inquire about her. I discovered that she's an emissary for the Princeps. Interesting, no?"

He chuckled. "I was aware. We are happy to have you here, Venice."

I didn't know what he meant by saying that he was aware, but I smiled politely.

"I hope Maisie wasn't too harsh on you," said Alasdair. "She has shared some unpleasant encounters with vampires in the past, so she has some reservations with those affiliated with them."