Visitor

— VENICE —

A little over a week passed since I started my new job at the paper company. I was enjoying the work and my coworkers. Although it wasn't exactly a dream job, I was content with it for now.

My mom always told me that being content meant I wasn't challenging myself enough. She used to push me about everything—making better friends, playing more sports, getting higher grades. I supposed that was partly why I was so eager to leave home.

When she found out I never finished any college applications, she stroked out. I thought she legitimately going to throw me out onto the streets.

She wanted me to be a pharmacist, like her. No matter how many times I told her I sucked ass in chemistry, she insisted I would like it better in college.

I just didn't see the point in going when I had zero idea what I wanted to do with my life. That sounded like unnecessary debt and a career I wouldn't want.

I was on a search to find purpose in my life, whatever that meant for me. I loved to sketch but I didn't think I had the skill to make a career out of it.

For now, I was just trying to survive on my own.

So far, I'd enjoyed my Saturday doing a whole lot of nothing. I slept in til 9 and had been sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee for an hour. Isaiah was nowhere to be found, so I assumed he was still sleeping.

We hadn't been seeing much of each other, since he seemed to spend any waking moment either at work, the gym, or playing video games. I kind of missed hanging out with him like back in high school. He didn't play video games then and we were always getting into trouble doing stupid shit.

I knew we weren't kids anymore, though. I just wanted to feel close to him again. He used to be my best friend.

A knock at the door stirred me from my thoughts. I hopped up from the seat and started toward the door, curious who it could be.

Part of me hoped it was Liam. We hadn't spoken since he came over after my interview last week. We saw each other in passing, of course—but nothing more than a smile and wave.

I was a little worried he might be avoiding me, not that I'd admit as much. I wouldn't be surprised if I did something to scare him off. I wasn't one to have a large social circle, which never bothered me.

I knew I was different from other people my age. They'd rather be partying and sleeping around, but I just wanted to make art and cuddle on the couch.

If Liam wanted better friends, that was fine. I understood. I didn't want to be annoying so I'd leave him be until convenience struck again.

Before I could reach the door, Isaiah came flying out of his room and barely beat me to the door. I stopped and crossed my arms over my chest. I stood in the doorway between the living room and kitchen to watch him greet our visitor.

"Brooooo, what is up?" cheered a familiar deep voice.

A tall muscular man with cropped black hair stepped into the house. He embraced Isaiah in a rather violent man-hug.

"Sup, dude," Isaiah replied, clapping his friend on the back.

"Marvin?" I gaped.

The boys parted as a pair of dark chocolate eyes found mine. Marvin grinned crookedly.

"There's my girl," he said, spreading open his arms.

Sighing, Isaiah stepped aside and I charged his best friend with a squeal. He caught me in his arms and lifted me up. I giggled as my feet kicked back and forth in the air. He pecked my cheek before placing me on my feet again.