Negotiation

— LIAM —

"You have long known what your transgressions against the natural order are."

The deep creases in the pale, leathery flesh of the ancient vampire's face impossibly deepened. His scarlet eyes sparked with hatred.

Tension rolled off Rob's body in waves of menacing force. His posture was squared, his face set in harsh angles. He reeked of hostility.

"Are you so hypocritical as to not consider the implications of the Princeps' reputation should you engage in combative measures against my family?" Rob muttered. "Are you feeble as to turn a blind eye to the one among you? You are punishing me the victim."

"Victim?" Ptolemy scoffed. "You are the truly most pitiful among the species. A delusional crossbreed, you are."

"Tell me," growled Rob, the ripple of power around him left my spine stiffening, "has Hera paid for her sins? Hm? Where is this justice you seek to enforce in the vampire kingdom?"

They quipped back and forth like steady bull whips trying to crack the sharpest.

I remained silent. While they were busy insulting each other, I thought of ways to get ahead of Ptolemy and the rest of the Princeps.

The first option was to kill Ptolemy.

He was far outnumbered here. It wouldn't be easily done, but it could be done.

However, if we killed him, the Princeps would have a legitimate reason to wage war.

For now, all they had were moral claims on what kind of beings should be allowed to exist. That was only a matter of perspective. There were many in the supernatural realm actively fighting to change that perspective.

Our second option would be to allow Ptolemy to leave, in which he will report his findings and observations to the other Princeps.

They would assemble a horde to attack the Sanctuary and they wouldn't stop until we were all dead. They didn't give a fuck how many vampires it took, either.

Their inventory was practically endless. Working for the Princeps was considered an honor in many social circles in the vampire realm.

"Enough," Rob snapped.

My gaze flicked to where Ptolemy stood in his Princep habit with his hands behind his back. I glanced back at Rob and noticed his complexion was a bit ruddier than usual.

"You did not come here to kill me," Rob stated. "You came here for Liam. Why? What is Liam to you?" Folding his arms over his chest, he leaned slightly toward the old leathery beast. "Unless, of course, you are using that as an excuse to get to me. So why don't you tell us why you're really here?"

"I told you," he reiterated with perfect patience. "I came to talk."

"Not talk. Bargain," sneered Rob. "You want to bargain for a guilty plea that would land me in the lap of you and the rest of your cowardly panel of rotting leeches."

My pulse jetted at the rapidly escalating tension.

Ptolemy's face split with a grin. "You've always been smart, Robert. You have been able to flee from us for hundreds of years and now you have built up an army. You know we've been watching," he said. "Soon you will be the most powerful individual on the globe."

"Individual, yes." Rob nodded, eyes cutting with suspicion. "But you have a collective of powerful people. I know this."

"So why do you even think you could avoid castigation for raising your legion of monstrosities?" Ptolemy huffed. "If you knew we would strike you down, why even try? All that will result is more unnecessary casualties." Ptolemy offered a sickeningly sweet smile. "Your greed for power has always been your greatest strength and worst weakness. I can guarantee it will be your downfall, Lupei."