The Enemy

— VENICE —

"Now what brought you here, darling?" asked Pepper, her voice soft and kind.

She gave off such a genuine aura that I couldn't help but want to talk more with her. Even though we were still basically strangers, I found myself trusting her. Which was pretty stupid, considering I was surrounded by werewolves and on a mission for the Princeps.

"I could ask you the same!" I said, chuckling. I wasn't sure how much I could share with the other guests. "Are you a lycan?"

"Oh, no, not at all." She laughed, charmed. "My son is an Alpha. He always brings me with him."

I nodded. "That's cool. So, your son is a lycan?"

"Yes. His father was my mate. He's been dead for almost ten years now, god rest his soul."

"I see. I'm sorry for your loss," I said softly.
She patted my arm with a sweet smile. "No need for that, dear. Now, what in the world are you doing here?"

"Well . . ." I rubbed my arms nervously. "I'm here on behalf of the Princeps."

I expected her to look horrified or disturbed in some way, but her wrinkly forehead and thin, gray brows only scrunched in confusion.

"The what?"

Staring back at her, I could only blink in surprise. She didn't know who the Princeps were? I assumed everyone in this supernatural world knew everyone else.

"Vampires," rumbled a deep, authoritative voice. "The Princeps are the leaders of vampires, to be precise."

My gaze flicked over Pepper's perfectly coiffed hair to the man approaching her from behind. His clipped tone put me on edge. I warily surveyed him to evaluate the threat this burly man posed.

Although his smooth olive-toned skin and tall, muscular body suggested he was young, the crinkles around his eyes, manicured beard along his sharp jaw, and confident posture gave him an older edge. His thick, black hair was neatly gelled back and he wore an expensive three-piece navy blue suit and a black tie.

Pepper smiled brightly. "Venice, please meet my son, Macay."

He stepped forward and extended a hand toward me. I glanced at his beefy, calloused palm before reluctantly placing my hand in it.

"Nice to meet you," I said.

His eyes narrowed a bit as he stared back at me. The look wasn't daunting or intimidating, though. He looked curious.

"You as well," he said and then stepped back into place beside Pepper. "I wasn't aware my mother kept company with vampires."

I only frowned, uncertain how to respond.

"Venice is a human," she said, rolling her eyes, "which I know you have already determined."

He nodded with a placid expression.

"And anyway," she prattled on, "this is the lovely young woman I met in my coffee shop all those months ago. Isn't she just the cutest?"

Oh, goodness. My body flushed from head to toe.

Macay chuckled as I looked away, smiling through my mortification. I realized then that Liam was nowhere to be found.