Chapter Six (Amethyst)

"You did not just do that!" Amelia practically dragged me away from the handsome stranger. Her eyes were wide with disbelief. "That's Ryder Galtero! The son of the third richest man in London!" She glanced back at him. The arrogant smirk plastered on his face confirmed her words.

"He thinks you're mad and I am now mad by association," she cried out, covering her face with her palms.

"I didn't care who he was or how I'd acted, but I felt awful for embarrassing you," I apologized, trying to sound sincere. "I didn't mean to insult Ryan"

"Ryder," she said taking a deep breath. "It's fine, I mean you've hit it off so well with Luke." I wasn't sure why this was such a big deal, but I patted Amelia on the back slowly while she stressed the effect this would have on us back at school. 

"Maybe no one will care," I offered with a shrug of my shoulders. 

 "Doubtful." Amelia fanned her face with her hand dramatically. "Let's get a drink."

I looked back at the stranger, he was already laughing with a few others, already over it. He was Luke's brother, though they didn't look like brothers. Different features and personalities made it hard to believe they were even related.

Like night and day.

Amelia was quick, already downing a shot of something clear before I could order a soda.

"I thought you were shy," I said with a chuckle at my red headed friend.

"I thought you were passive," she said jokingly, I laughed at this. I has never meant to cause such a public scene, but it wasn't the first time. I had a bad habit of taking my embarrassment and turning it into outrage, the same went for my sadness.

"Do you think that's ruined things with Luke?" Amelia asked curious as she sipped from her glass.

"I don't know, I wasn't really looking for a relationship anyway," I said truthfully. I would be gone in a few months, or weeks if we fix the problem quickly. Why would I go looking for a relationship so far away from home? Despite my growing attraction to Luke, I knew nothing would come from it.

After an hour of socializing with Amelia, who kept a watchful eye on me, we finally escaped the party. As I climbed into her dark blue Volvo, it hit me: Iris and Luna were buried in research, and neither would be available for a ride home from Amelia's.

"Do you think you can take me home?" I asked my new friend, who looked as if she was going to burst with excitement. I don't know why the thought of driving out of her way brings her so much joy.

"Of course!" She turned the key, the sound of the engine purred. "Where do you live?"

"Uh," I couldn't remember the exact address. "It's an old house..." I closed my eyes trying to think, maps and directions worked so differently here. 

"There's a this huge dead tree stump on the side," I squinted my eyes, a headache had set in making it harder to focus. "Iron gates outside of it."

Amelia's eyes got wide like I'd just told her the ending of a very scary story. Her lips forming a perfect circle, "Y-You don't mean shadow manor do you?" The way she said it was almost movie life.

"I think that's it, it's on a big hill." I explained, "Super old house."

"More like super haunted," Amelia shuddered, "Sorry to tell you."

"Haunted?"

"Yes, they say it was previously occupied by a witch," Amelia half whispered. I fought back a laugh, if she only knew it still was. We took a left turn, up the familiar drive-way to the 'haunted house.'