A Dragon and Fears

((Y'all know I welcome fanart, right?))

He was struggling to believe this was actually happening.
Part of him was terrified at the giant creature that was already back, yet another was oddly drawn to it. He was pretty sure that was just Merlot. The slime had been weird ever since he woke back up. Somehow it could sense the golden gaze when he stepped into the night for some fresh air, vibrating until he turned and spotted it.

Hidden just behind the trees to the left of the beach. Those eyes were definitely glowing a little, standing out from the foliage. The rest of the dragon was surprisingly well hidden by foliage. Impressive for something that stood out so much with the white and gold feathers.

Fresh had wisely ushered Error further inside, and the wither had agreed- not without some bitching, but still. Now Horror was standing with that blaze hovering near the giant oak just within the village, also staring at the yellow eyes.

Hating that it was necessary, Horror raised his voice, rasping from the volume.
“You.. gonna come out?”
For a moment, there was no reaction whatsoever. No indication that he was even heard.
Then the dragon blinked.

The eyes lifted, going up and up until they vanished behind the canopy of leaves. A moment later antlers poked through the top, then the eyes were back, now out in the open.
The dragon had yet to reply.
He knew the other could speak, he knew what he heard.

“Do ya want food?” His voice gave out partway through the sentence, though he didn't bother repeating himself.
“I have pork.”

He wasn't sure if it was the offer of pork or the other just deciding to move, but they finally emerged from the trees, creeping down the beach. Stopping at the water, the eyes continued watching. He could at least get a good look at the shimmering feathers, gleaming faintly even in the moonlight.
“Do you? Want pork?” He asked.
Infuriatingly, the dragon just. Didn't. Answer.

With a graceful hop, they jumped clear over the mouth of the river, landing on the other side easily.
What a frightening distance cleared in one easy jump. Horror fought to keep his shoulders relaxed. Merlot was still trembling, oozing slightly through several different old wounds. It was an unpleasant feeling, but not his focus.

The dragon still crept closer, now glancing at the blaze. Their eyes still darted to the mansion, where Fresh and Error stood, trying not to be too noticeable. So they weren't hidden, but the dragon wasn't spooked yet.

Instead, the feathered being perched on the edge of the cliff, one talon loosely gripping the fence running along the edge. Finally, finally, they spoke, voice soft and anxious.
“Why do you not hate me?”

He frowned at that, confused.
“Why would I hate you? Ya did nothin’ but stare at us.. a lot. Which.. creepy, but whatever.” He rubbed his neck awkwardly, trying not to freak out over the claws bigger than his own hands on those talons.
“But you even have a mini Wither?” The dragon seemed confused.

“Mini! MINI??” Error shouted, jolting forward. The dragon flinched away, wings already raised. Fresh jumped, grabbing him. “Alrighty broski, ya ain't small.”
“I'm not a mini!”

By now, the dragon was crouching down, head tilting as he peered under the porch roof at the pair. Error took the chance to point. “I'm not a fucking mini!”
Surprisingly, instead of freaking out and taking off, they replied.
“I thought withers were.. bigger. Not Builder sized?”

Error screeched at that, throwing up his hands before crossing his arms angrily, muttering.
Horror took the chance to ask.
“You know what Withers are supposed to look like?”
The canine head tilted at him curiously.
“You.. don't?”
“Never seen one before the voices made us build him.” He gestured at said Wither, who just glared at him.