Chapter 9: Encounter

The Queen spoke and said, "Did you at least spot or sight the young man's face?" in curiosity.

Princess Scarlett replied while eating and said, "I didn't see his face because he was wearing a black mask that covered his mouth and nose." She then remembered what his eyes looked like and added, "I only remember...his eyes were blue." She said this while being staggered in her own imagination about the man.

Princess Scarlett's imagination got cut off when the king spoke.

"Are you really telling us the truth, my princess? About what happened to you in the incident?" King Albert said. He still could not believe what the princess said about the incident, so he asked.

The princess sighed in disbelief and said, "Why would I waste my time saying all those things just knowing that you wouldn't even believe me?"

"You have a point," said Prince Khyl while sipping his wine.

The other two princes looked at Prince Khyl, then looked back at the princess.

Queen Anne murmurs and says, "Then that was such a tragic incident and also a mysterious one," in a low tone.

King Albert was also in deep thought. He never knew there would be such a merciless attack and an unknown man that would save his daughter on the brink of death.

FLASHBACK

King Albert spoke and said, "Now, my princess, you may continue and tell us what happens next."

The princess took a deep breath and continued her story.

Scarlett POV

When I opened the carriage door, the young man named 'Shadow' revealed himself outside the carriage; his right arm was holding his sword's sheath, his dark cloak was full of blood stains, and I was very scared of what would happen next. He walked towards me, and as I glimpsed his head and down to his toe, I could tell that our ages were not that far apart.

When I was confident that we were not far apart in age, I suddenly had the courage to speak to him, even though I was very scared.

"Please don't kill me. I did not do anything wrong," I said while looking down.

Shadow didn't respond to me, and I thought he was mute. I was surprised and shocked when I unconsciously asked him.

"Who are you?" I said while looking down.

Shadow didn't respond again, but I saw his clothes moving. Later on, he gave me something. He reached his hands toward me, and there was a scratch of clothes on his dark cloak. I was thinking for a minute about what to do about the small piece of cloth. After thinking for a few seconds, I finally got his intention; he gave me a piece of cloth to wash off my tears. I don't know, but I think he was a good guy, but I can still feel fear and terror about him.

I then grabbed the small piece of cloth and said, "Thank you," while I was trembling.

While I was wiping my tears, he suddenly said, "What's your name?" Shadow said in a soft and calm voice.

When I heard him speak, I suddenly looked at him. My eyes widened when I saw him up close. I just noticed that we were only one step closer to each other. I gazed at him and realized what a handsome man he was, even though I couldn't see him because of the clothes that he was wearing.

He was wearing a dark cloak, a black mask covering his mouth and nose, and a long jingasa hat on his head. A few seconds later, I came back to my senses and then remembered that he asked for my name.

I murmured and said, "But I was the first one to ask."

He laughed softly and replied, "I am Shadow."

I looked again into his eyes, down to his clothes, and frowned. He is a living person and not some kind of entity; I know it myself.

"No, you are not," I said.

He laughed loudly and said, "Of course I am not."

I didn't expect what he was about to do. He flicked my forehead as if we had known each other for a long time. I was about to argue with him, but I was so scared. I was afraid that he might do something to me.

"Ouch, it hurts!" I said melancholy while rubbing my forehead.

I don't know why, but I feel safe and calm by his side. It's like I can tell him who I am without any problem.

I breathed out and said, "I am the princess of the Jourglan Kingdom, the fourth daughter of King Albert and Queen Anne." I said this in a calm voice while I was trembling.

He didn't reply or say anything, but he was actually shocked and surprised. He stared into my eyes, like he was verifying something. I can't stare at him any longer because the way he gazes at me makes me feel uncomfortable, so I avoided his eyes, and I accidentally saw the dead bodies lying on the ground.

My knees were shaking, my hands were trembling, and my tears were starting to come out again as I felt fear and disgust seeing the red liquids running across that pathway, swords sticking into their bodies, and a dead person with wide-open eyes.

I cried out loud, covered my eyes with my hands, and said, "Are you here to kill me?" as I kneeled down.

Moments later, I suddenly felt him getting closer to me. When I was about to take my hands off, he suddenly hugged me, and because of this, I cried even more. I hugged him back tightly, even though he had blood stained on his clothes. I didn't care.

After a while, I said in a low voice, "Will you accompany me?"

That was my last word, and then I can only remember that I heard some hordes of horses heading in my direction. I took a glimpse, and there were also carriages, and then the guy named Shadow left without a trace.