Chapter 17: Kindness

Scarlett laughed and sighed, then said, "What I mean is, if you want others to do that to you, then do that to others."

Bum chewed his food while thinking, and when he got what Scarlett meant, he swallowed the meat and smiled.

"I think I get it!" Bum said and smiled.

"Now what are you waiting for?" Scarlett said, then slowly turned Bum to his back and pushed him lightly.

Bum said, "I know what to do, so don't push me." He frowned.

Scarlett laughed, then said, "I'll be back in a minute, so wait for me."

Scarlett was about to walk away when she thought of something, then went back to Bum and called him.

Bum faced her and said, "Did you call me?"

She then smiled and said, "Please tell them to stay here and don't let them get away." Then she walked back to where she came from.

Bum pouts as he looks at her leaving where she came from earlier. He then sighs and gets back to his fellow beggar to give him some of the food that Scarlett gave him.

The disabled beggars heard what the young girl said to Bum. They were afraid and nervous about what the girl might do to them when she came back.

Bum saw the terrified faces of his fellow beggars when they heard that the young girl said not to let them go.

He breathed softly and spoke. "Don't think about it; she won't do anything wrong to us," he said confidently.

One of the beggars said, "But what does she mean, don't let us get away?" while terrified.

Bum replies, "I don't know what she meant about that, but I think she is a good person. All we have to do is wait, and if she doesn't come back, then it's..."

Bum cut out his words when he saw the young lady he talked to minutes ago come back holding two huge paper bags side by side in her arms.

Scarlett returns to the stall markets to purchase food; money is not an issue for her at all, as she discovers that the street food and beverages are fairly inexpensive, and she is taking advantage of this to assist those in need. She knew that she was wealthy because she was the daughter of the king and queen of their kingdom, so why not help those who were less fortunate?

Scarlett walked again while carrying two huge paper bags full of food and drinks. The people she passed by saw that she was struggling, so they approached her and asked if she could carry the two large paper bags that she was holding in both hands.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Do you need any help?"

"A young girl must not carry this kind of huge paper bag. Mind if I help you?"

"Dear, do you need a helping hand to carry these large paper bags?"

These questions can be heard from the people she walks past. She was thankful that at least there are people who are willing to help others whom they see struggling in their work.

Scarlett confidently stated, "Thank you for your concerns, and do not worry about me; I am fine."

She turned down their worries, telling some of them that it made her uncomfortable, and turned to leave.

She then walked straight towards the street, where she found the kid named 'Bum'. When she arrived in the area, she finally saw the kid, who was now looking at her.

Scarlett shouted and said, "Will you mind helping me here?" while struggling to put the paper bags down.

Bum quickly ran towards her and helped lift the two paper bags.

Bum asks, "Why are you carrying these two large paper bags? And where are you heading?"

Scarlett replied while breathing heavily, "These paper bags are not for me."

"Then why carry such heavy paper bags if they are not for you?" Bum then tries to pick up the other one and says, "Also, why are they so heavy? What's in them?"

She then told him and said, "That paper bag has enough food and drinks for you and your companions to eat in a..." Scarlett thinks for a few seconds and adds, "Probably a week or two."

Bum almost dropped the paper bag as he was astonished beyond expression; he could not comprehend that Scarlett purchased that many items solely for their consumption in a single week.

Bum dropped the paper bags and asked in surprise, "You're kidding, right?"

Scarlett breathes and says, "What do you think of me eating these all by myself?"

"Why are you doing this?" Bum asks, and he is about to drop his tears.

Scarlett frowns and replies, "Isn't it obvious?"

"You do not even know us, so why are you helping us?" Bum asks as he begins to cry.

Bum's tears streamed down his cheeks, and Scarlett realized that the suddenness of it all was beyond his comprehension.

Scarlett smiled and replied, "Just like I said earlier, 'If you want it done to you, do it to others.' And another thing, my chest tightens when I see you there on the side of the road with nothing to eat, nothing to drink, and no house to live in."

After hearing everything Scarlett had to say, Bum broke down in tears, unable to find the right words to express his gratitude for her generosity. Of all the people who came and went, she was the only one who stopped to talk to them and stayed for a long time, and on top of that, she gave them more and more than they could have ever asked for.

Scarlett imagined how difficult it must be to live on the streets without access to food, drink, or a place to dwell, so she was overjoyed to see such happy tears in his eyes.

Scarlett approached him; she gave him a tight hug, for which he was grateful, and when Scarlett opened her eyes, she saw the other beggars, who looked perplexed and wondered why they were in this scene.

Scarlett broke from hugging him and said, "Stop crying now and share these foods with them."

Bum fixes himself up and says, "You are right; I bet they are hungry and thirsty."

After a chuckle, Scarlett picked up one of the paper bags and Bum carried the other, and the two of them went up to the now-astonished and concerned beggars and placed the paper bags next to Bum's cardboard box.

Scarlett spoke after putting down the paper bags: "Now you should be the one who distributes the food for them to eat and also the drinks."

Bum replied and said, "But you were the one who bought these; I think you should be the one who will."

Scarlett cuts off his statement and says, "I did buy these things, but I don't know them very well. You should be the one to share the food and drinks."

Bum stopped arguing and started sharing the food and drinks with his fellow beggars.