Chapter 14: Forgiveness

King Albert looked at his eldest son and asked, "Khyl, any findings?"

"We didn't also find her," was the short reply from Prince Khyl.

The queen wept loudly; she could not believe that her beloved daughter would run away. She felt as if her heart was squeezed at the thought of her only daughter running away from them. Prince Jerome and King Albert tried their best to calm her down.

Prince Khyl spoke and said, "We didn't find her, but we got some traces of her heading towards the garden."

His father, mother, and brother looked at him with hope for an answer.

Prince Khyl sighed and said, "We found some coins from her room window to the garden; we followed the coins, but the coins stopped at the tower." He sighed and added, "And I think we might find the answer from that brainless brother of mine."

King Albert replied, "So the answer is might," and the king was cut off.

They heard someone running outside towards the chamber room. All of them looked at the chamber door. The man who was breathing from exhaustion was revealed on the doorstep.

Prince Joseph ran towards the chamber room; he was afraid and worried about what he had found in the tower. When he arrived at the chamber room, everyone inside looked at him, and questions could be seen in their eyes.

King Albert asks worriedly, "Joseph, any findings about your sister?"

"Uhmm, where should I start the good news or the bad news?" Prince Joseph said stupidly.

"Just tell us about your findings. Start it anywhere, idiot." Prince Khyl was pissed.

The Queen spoke melancholy and said, "Start with the good news" while catching a cold from crying.

Prince Joseph breathed heavily and said, "We found some clothes that Scarlett wears in the arrow loops of the south tower."

The south tower is a defensive tower; it is one of the inner towers that defend the castle from an attack.

"And what about the bad news?" Prince Jerome asked.

Prince Joseph sighed and said, "I think she has already left the castle."

The queen wept again, knowing that her daughter had already left the castle; she did not know what she would do if she was away from her. The king and his three sons talked to her and tried to calm her down.

A few minutes later, the queen fell asleep from crying. The king laid her on their bed so she could sleep comfortably. The king stood up and called his three sons to go outside the chamber room. The king kissed the queen's forehead and then left the chamber silently.

Outside the chamber room, the king and the three princes continued...

"Father, what should we do now?" Prince Jerome asked in a worried tone.

King Albert held his head and took a glance at Prince Joseph.

"Are you sure, son, that your sister has already left the castle?" King Albert asked to confirm.

"Yes, father, I guarantee that she has already left the castle," Prince Joseph said confidently.

Prince Khyl commented and said, "How can you say that she has already left the castle?

"The arrow loops," he breathes and continues. "The ropes from the huge arrows were hanging from the tower down outside the arrow loops," Prince Joseph said.

The king stopped holding his head, and he and his son, Khyl, looked at each other.

"It is unfortunate luck. When we were going to leave the kingdom, she also ran away," Prince Joseph sighed and added. "This is a difficult situation," he said in dismay.

Prince Jerome looked at Prince Joseph with confusion and said, "What do you mean by that?

King Albert Gulped and said, "The discussed attack we planned will be carried out today."

Prince Jerome and Khyl had just realized what their father had said.

King Albert realized their situation. It was really difficult because he remembered that now was the day they would march towards their planned destination. Prince Khyl also thought about this; he was also confused and did not know what to do. Will he prioritize the search for his sister or continue the plan they discussed?

"I am worried about our sister. Will she be okay outside the castle?" Jerome said in a worried tone.

"Don't worry, your sister is smart, and she knows what she is doing," King Albert said.

"How can you say such things if you only talk to her when you are asking for her guidance or if you need something from her?" Prince Joseph said in an enraged tone.

King Albert felt as if cold water had been poured on him by what his son said. What Prince Joseph told him was true; how could he say that his daughter would be okay if he himself did not even know all the abilities, personalities, and other characteristics of his daughter? He is ashamed of what he said and feels that he is a selfish father.

King Albert started to drop his tears and said, "I know I owe you and your sister a lot, but I hope you give me a chance to make it up to you. Not as a king, not as a ruler, but as a father."

Prince Khyl said, "Father, you don't have to."

Prince Albert cut off his son's statement and said, "I just thought about all the mistakes I made with you when your mother woke me up. She told me everything about everything I do in the kingdom and to you, my children. I apologize to all three of you for all the sins I have committed. I sincerely apologize." He then bowed down while his tears dropped from the floor.

The three princes were saddened by what their father said. They knew that what he was doing was for the good of their kingdom and for the sake of their sister, but he never once spent time with them. He only talked to them when they were in a meeting or if he needed something from them.

Prince Jerome held his father's shoulder and said, "Father, you don't have to do this; we know that you are doing this for our kingdom and for our sister," he said in a low voice.

King Albert shook his head. He looked at his son Jerome and said, "I once committed a sin to you when you were a child." He breathed and continued, "I almost disowned you from the family because you cannot do such simple swordsmanship. I, as a father, feel ashamed, and I sincerely apologize for what I did before. I'm sorry, Jerome, for being such a heartless father." He slowly began to cry.