chapter eighteen

in a blink of an eye

Mimicking sounds of animals from a toddler and gurgling noises from an infant erupted in the living room of Chimney and Maddie's shared apartment. Monet immersed in the book with sounds of farm animals installed much to her excitement while Jee was buckled into the swing. Buck stifled a chuckle when his little girl eyes lit up at pressing the various buttons. He sat on the floor with the two as Maddie circled from behind the couch, joining them on the floor. Since Maddie quit the call center to receive help with difficulty in post-partum, she's been home with Jee. Buck thought to set playdates with their children to keep his older sister company.

Buck had been there with Sasha during her post-partum. However, every new mother's experiences differ.

"Next thing you know, they'll be running around together." Buck nudged his sister, seated beside him.

Maddie uttered a weak laugh, "Wonder how that dynamic will turn out to be."

"Crazy to think that these two in front of us are our kids. Always thought I'll just be 'Uncle Buck.'" He admitted, staring adoringly at his daughter.

His older sister turned to him, "I believed that you would be the one with the soccer team in a minivan because you're so natural with kids." She humored him considering that was the truth.

Buck's brows raised in shock, laughing at the thought. "Hey, it could happen."

"Would Sasha agree?" She tilted her head questionably.

"No, but I could have an actual soccer team to take to the games. If Monet wants to play sports in the future."

They continued to converse before putting on Bluey for the kids, mostly Monet. She squealed when the family of four dogs appeared on the screen for the opening of the episode. She resided on her father's lap as Jee remained in the swing facing the tv.

"How has it been since Sasha moved back in with you?" Being his older sister, of course, she learned of the situation between the couple. She couldn't imagine what Sasha was going through. Yet her friend put on a brave face when she came over when the couple were on the rocks. She was frustrated with Buck and his recent actions. Then she thought about her niece in the middle of this and had no understanding. She wasn't certain whether the couple would make it out although wouldn't blame Sasha.

When Buck shared that he and Sasha talked and are willing to work it out, she told how lucky he was. Maddie didn't meet any of his girlfriends but declares that Sasha is her favorite. She was happy to see her little brother in a loving relationship, and with the woman who wasn't only a dear friend but a wonderful mother and girlfriend.

"It's a relief that she took me back. But, uh, it's been going well."