chapter four

quiet before the storm

With their partners away to hose down the rapid wildfires in Texas leaving them to care for their energetic toddlers alone. Sasha and Karen collaborated on an ideal playdate involving a fresh day outside at the park. Specifically for Monet, who began to have separation anxiety from her father.

"Nia, play nice and share. Be careful, Monet is smaller than you."

Karen's authoritative voiced to her two-year-old daughter at the other end of the blanket with Monet marveling at the scattered toys in front of them. Sitting beside her was Sasha observing the interaction between the mother and daughter duo at the park.

"Okay, mommy." Nia said, resuming to play with Monet.

Sasha's heart swelled at the exchange with their daughters. Her eyes loomed over at Karen. "She's a sweetheart."

"If only you could see her how she is at home." Karen let out an amused laugh.

"I can imagine with Monet not too far behind."

"Having two is a whole different rodeo." As Denny came as a surprise into her and Hen's lives, the addition of Nia set a new tone in the household. Finding an ounce of peace became a rare occasion when your children summoned you nearly every hour.

A small giggle slipped from Sasha's lips, "My two consists of a toddler and my grown adult boyfriend causing a ruckus at home." She mentioned to Karen. Shrieks that belonged to her daughter captured their attention where Monet played happily with Nia. "Thank you for agreeing to this playdate, by the way."

"No problem. It's good that these two get some fresh air out of the house."

Sasha quirked her brow at her, jokingly. "Just them?"

Karen sighed in defeat, laughing out a little. "I've been feeling an incoming burn out from work, so, it feels nice to not be cooped up back at the house and think about work." She confessed to the young mother.

The rest of the playdate went well watching the two toddlers running around. Nia and Monet have adored each other since Nia was introduced as Hen and Karen's foster daughter. Despite attending the baby classes, Sasha was fond in this little friendship.

Much to both woman's pleasure, they had a feeling bedtime would be a little easier at night.

Sasha pushed the stroller down the pathway towards the parking lot after bidding her goodbyes to Karen and Nia. She glanced down at her daughter clutching onto her stuffed bunny. "Mommy is craving some ice cream. What'd you say we buy some on the way home?" She caressed the chubby cheek.

When she brought her gaze up, her eyes landed on a masked familiar figure on the grass standing in front of a canvas.

"Matthew?"