chapter nineteen

gone girl

May ended the phone call when she received confirmation from the first responders dispatched to the location. She removed her earpiece and pushed herself up from the chair at her station. Time can pass rather quickly when sitting for long periods of time and answering phone calls nonstop. She sauntered off the floor and into the breakroom. A few of her colleagues greeted her in passing as they headed back to their stations.

"Hey, where's Sasha? I noticed she's not at her station." May pondered. They had planned to go out for lunch with Josh on their shift.

Standing at the counter, Josh responded. "She went home because Veronica texted her about an emergency. Guess, Veronica had something to do with school and couldn't watch Monet anymore." He explained. "She sent me a text when I asked if she was able to come back."

Josh propped his phone to May showing his text thread with her older cousin.

Feeling the vibration of her phone in her grasp, May turned it over to see a text message popped up from Sasha. The message was similar Josh's apologizing for missing out on their lunch date and being stuck at home watching Monet.

"Well, I guess it's the two of us then. Should we head out?"

Josh nodded, moving across the room. "I'll drive." He grinned, following her out.

Meanwhile at the 118 Firehouse, Buck sat on the stool with his eyes glued to his phone. Bobby and Hen were finished prepping lunch on the plates for the entire firehouse. The latter became intrigued at the blond drumming his fingers on the countertop as Chimney approached the trio in the kitchen.

"What's got you antsy, Buckaroo?" Chimney asked, noting the blond firefighter's leg bouncing.

"Sasha hasn't replied to my texts."

Hen stifled a laugh, both her and Chimney shared amused looks. Bobby stopped the prepping and furrowed his brows. Other than the two, he held no judgement.

"Perhaps, she's busy at work?" Bobby suggested.

"She's on her lunch break, right now. She always responds especially my pictures." Buck pouted, looking back at his phone.

Chimney snorted, "Maybe she doesn't want to waste her lunch talking to you." He teased, chomping on a slice of carrot.

"Surely, she'll answer you, lover boy. Don't get too worked up." Hen assured Buck.

Sasha stirred around until fluttering her eyes open to an illuminating light. She squinted, regaining her sight of her surroundings though hearing a familiar blabbing like any mother knows the voice of their child. Her body shot up once realizing the estranged environment. A plain large livable space including a bedroom, living area, bathroom, and kitchen in one. Appeared unused, clean, and neat which left a churning feeling in her stomach.