chapter seventeen

an uncertain future lies ahead

"I appreciate this wonderful Keurig maker."

"We both know how coffee is important to start your day."

Both Sasha and May were at May's new apartment. She moved out of the house after the paperwork was finalized to her pleasure. Like Athena and Michael, Sasha thought this moment to be bittersweet seeing May reach another milestone and coming on her own. Considering they've grown up more like sisters than mainly cousins. Sasha will always be protective of May.

They spent the day together, which had been a while amid their busy schedules. It felt like old times when Sasha would drive May around getting her nails done, shopping, and treating her to lunch.

"Feels so nice to have my own place. No nosy Harry or mom at the very least." May humored, causing Sasha to laugh. "Some peace and quiet, ya know. It's not studying abroad in Europe like you but it's something."

"I understand. I'm surprised you found a place through the number of restrictions your mom enlisted."

May entered the living area, "Yeah, I got really lucky with this one."

After being given a brief tour of the apartment, Sasha assisted May with the rest of the unboxing of her belongings. They finished within two hours then relaxed on the couch after calling in for delivery with the urgency to eat.

"So, dad's birthday is coming up. Mom and I were thinking of having a little get together at the house. Bobby offered to barbecue. Also, have some games set up in the backyard for some fun. You know how competitive our family gets." May mentioned with a smirk. "I think Buck would fit perfectly with our family, huh?"

Sasha hummed in agreement, taking a sip of her drink. "Sounds like a plan. I'll bring it up to him."

The couple proceeded to split days and nights with Monet. As smoothly the process has been, both yearned for each other. Sasha felt it in the pit of her stomach when locking eyes with Buck's remorseful ones. She did take time to reevaluate their relationship and heal. Taking the first step to bring herself to talk appeared to be the toughest part.

"Oh! We might need him to help with the setup, of course." May continued to discuss further details of the party with Sasha.

Buck jiggled the keys into the knob of the door with one hand. The other hand carried a sleepy Monet in his arm and backpack. Once unlocked, he twisted the handle and pushed through the door. He took Monet out with Eddie, Christopher, and Carla. Monet had a great time resulting in exhausting the toddler on the drive back home. He closed the door behind him quietly to not wake her up. As he went on his way to the nursery to put her down, he hadn't expected Sasha to come out of the kitchen, nearly startling him.