chapter sixteen

mapping out priorities 

Sasha's eyes flicker open and stirred in bed with the awareness this bed wasn't the one she usually slept in. Nor this was the apartment she shared with Buck. Memories from the night before flashed in her mind from Buck's confession, the betrayal, and packing her bag. She loomed over at Monet's little body sprawled on the bed and the arm clutching onto Bun-Bun.

Picking up her phone lying on the nightstand, she reread the thread of the past few messages with her boyfriend then read one long paragraph sent by him in the middle of the night. Sasha shut her phone off and placed it down on the bed. Her main priority was to figure out the next steps though she couldn't.

For now, she faced her body towards her daughter and brought a hand to caress her face and curls.

"Good morning."

Holding a fresh mug of coffee in his hand, Matthew brightly greeted Sasha and Monet entering the kitchen. Monet nestled into her mother being carried into her arms. Sasha sent a small smile at him as she settled into a seat at the table.

Outside of her family, Matthew appeared to be the best choice to go to. Without hesitation, he immediately took the heartbroken woman and toddler after she called him. He let her sleep in his guest room, and she couldn't be more grateful.

"Morning."

Matthew advanced towards the table with another mug in his hand. "I went to this bagel shop around the corner for us. Made us coffee as well. Also, filled up Monet's bottle for you." He nodded his head at the table.

"Thank you, this is nice, and those bagels look good."

"Well, they're not going to eat themselves. Guess we should dig in."

After breakfast, the trio moved to the other room to lounge. While Sasha and Matthew sat on the couch together, Monet appeared to have a burst of energy running around and playing with her toys. They watched her until Sasha shifted her gaze on the man next to her.

"Thank you," He looked at her. "-for letting us stay the night." Sasha pressed her lips together.

"You and Monet are always welcome here. Don't feel pressured to go back If you're not ready." Matthew assured.

"I don't want you to think I'm taking advantage of you."

He waved her off, "Well, you welcomed me with open arms and when I first arrived. This is me being there for you."

Sasha thought how sincere he was. Her face softened merely feeling emotional slightly not wanting to cry. "I don't know what to do..." She gripped onto her locket.

"There's no need for answers. He hurt you. Let yourself heal to be the best mother to Monet. If that means staying here, then that's okay."