Chapter 30 ✂ Up In Flames

"One more-"

"No."

"Please, I swear, this will be the last-"

"God damn it! You've said that for the past ten shots!" Ruby hollered at Jefferson, catching majority of the diner's attention. She heaved a sigh and straightened her spine as she leaned over the counter, "I'm serious. This is the very last. One more and I'll personally have to kick you out. Got it?"

Jefferson sluggishly glanced up at her, the crook of his lips rising lightly before his head collapsed onto the table.

"I knew he wouldn't last another round," The young woman shook her head, glancing around the place. It's strange- the place seemed abandoned the past few days; most likely from the brawl between Regina and Emma. Worst part is, rumor has it that Henry was poisoned. Just the thought of the incident sent a shiver down Ruby's spine. Her grandmother had been out all day and now she had to deal with this drunken heap.

Every time Ruby called to your house, it always went to your voicemail. She was worried and dearly wished to visit you but work her tied her hands back.

Of course, Jefferson slurred a few words here and there about the night before- and well- the argument that had happened in the morning. Ruby pitied the man only because he sobbed endlessly for hours and hours but she knew that something was odd about the way he was. One moment, he seemed like a decent caring man, next he's cunning and unexpected and then later- he's just plain out coo coo. She didn't know what you saw in him but she was more than happy about your well- newly popped cherry.

Heh, good friend she is.

Ruby wiped the table, gleaming out the window in sign of granny and all the rest of her regular costumers. But something happened.

The brightest of light flamed through the windows of the diner, a spiral that blew like a wind through closed doors.

For a moment, the air was sweeter than it once was. Ruby gasped for a breath of air, swallowing hard as she gleamed at her surroundings. She recognized her reflection on the cup of a wine glass, instantly forcing a smile upon her lips. "I'm back..." she beamed, flinching as she heard the bells of the dinner door ring. A mob of people stood at the doorway, their chattering echoing through the place.

They all cheered and shouted and cried and kissed as they swarmed the diner. Red was tossed around, greeted once in a while before there was no longer anyone to enter. All but her own grandmother.

The pleasant look on the woman's face brought tears to the young man's arms as she threw herself into the old woman's arms. "I missed you," she whispered into her ear, feeling her eyes spring with water just as the others in the diner.

The Mad Hatter raised his head, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hands as he briefly glanced around. Just like he expected- or wished to have not expected- you were not there. The entire town had finally gotten their memories, found their families and were celebrating but there he was- sitting alone on the counter with an empty wine glass.

He sighed to himself, torn apart from the feelings that overwhelmed him.

Would you remember him?

Or is he just feeding himself unnecessary hope that things will be the same as it was before?

The life the Mad Hatter once owned was a daydream to anyone who longed for the perfect family. To have it inevitably torn away from him was too dreadful. All the happiness diminishing all at once caused him to be a cold-hearted, listless monster.

Yet, there was something about seeing the two of you again that made his heart thud. He felt alive. He felt as though he were- Jefferson again. He wanted that, whether or not you remembered him.

Maybe he could restart his life again with you.

A gentle grin tugged at the corner of the man's lips. His smile grew wider as he rummaged through his pocket and smacked a few bills on the countertop beside his wine glass.

"Hey! The party's over here! Where are you headed?" A man hollered towards Jefferson.

You'd never see a smile as bright as the one spreading across his face, "I'm going to tell me wife and daughter I love them," It was possibly the corniest and most bizarre phrase that slipped his lips but it just felt right.

"Good luck!" Ruby called out, finally hearing his exchange with the stranger.

"Thank you!" He shouted back in a slur, shoving himself out the door. The sun seemed to be tender for once in Storybrooke. The fresh sent of bakery and the laughter of children filled the streets endlessly as memories were newly gathered.

A sense of excitement pulsated through the man's veins as he found rare peach roses being sold. They were identical to the ones you fell in love with when he and Grace stayed over at your mountaintop house.

"Hello there, are you interested in purchasing our fresh jasmine flowers?" The old lady at the curb asked.

Jefferson shook his head, his smile never ridding from his features, "Just that rose please,"

"Oh," she cooed, packaging the rose and neatly setting it, "For a lady?"

Flustered and drunk as he was, Jefferson giggled lightly, covering his face shyly before gaining composure. "You must be getting many orders since everyone's got their memories back."

"Well boy, you're a sidekick," she chuckled, handing the rose. Jefferson reached over to lend her the money when she whisked his hand away, "Keep it. It's my treat," she beamed. Jefferson nodded. His face softening as he gleamed around. He sauntered for what seemed minutes, his mind lying to him from enthusiasm.

But his body shuddered lightly from the sound of sirens ringing in the near distance. His forehead creased as he caught a glimpse of the crowd gathered around the smoking familiar town house. He blood ran cold, "No..." his voice wavered as it was thick of tears.

The man shoved through the people, clutching tightly onto the rose into his hand. The smoke tasted poisonous as he gained closeness to your house. Ash fell to the ground like pixie dust, dispersing to the white cement ground, painting it black. A small clutter of men brought two stretchers out of the blazing fire, water taming the fire sprouting across the roof top.

Underneath the white sheets, Jefferson recognized the figures of a woman and a child. Tears sprung at his eyes when the arm of one of the bodies slipped out of the covering. The flesh was burnt and crispy, dried and grey. What stopped the man's heart was the ring upon the finger.

It was yours.

"No." Jefferson breathed, dropping the rose to the ground.

"Sir, plea-"

"No!" He raised his voice at Archie.

"I understand-"

"NO YOU DON'T!" He hollered insanely at the man. His eyes were bloodshot red, the veins in his neck thickening while he heaved heavy breathes. "You don't understand," he whispered.

"They meant everything to me, yet I didn't say goodbye."

______________________

Um, so its been about 2-3 months? Yah, I think that's about right. Well people, I give you the permission to shoot me. Address: 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

XD Jokes aside, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Only few more to go! Summer Break is up so I'll be updating more often!

PEACE!