Chapter 16 ✂ The Trap

You finally gathered the courage to write the letter and now you stood in the freezing cold, with the discolored paper in your hands in front of Mr. Gold's shop. You shuddered, not only from the bitter wind but from absolute fear Gold would kick you out of your house. You held your breath and placed the note in the crack of the door, staring at the vacant room before you staggered off. It'd been two days since Mr. Gold asked to you borrow some documents for him. Jefferson managed to convince you out of the entire mess of robbing and stealing just by saying Paige's name persistently. You couldn't possibly betray her hopes of having a perfect mother, and you had to do everything to keep her safe, loved and happy.

That's one way of saying, you got a new job.

Yep, with your ruby red and snow white uniform, underneath your coat, you sauntered into the café, tapping off the snow from your feet. "(Y/N)!" Called a familiar voice from across the diner. You glanced over your shoulder, beaming brightly at her unmistakable red lips. "You're on time today."

"Surprisingly," You muttered, tying the apron across your hips.

"That's ironic, isn't it? You've always been late at Gold's but here, you're showing up on time."

"Heh, beginner's luck?" You teased, sounding a bit weary.

"Are you okay?" Ruby asked, gently holding your shoulder in reassurance.

"Oh I'm fine, just a little giddy." You muttered. "Anyways, what can I do for you?"

"Granny said you're in charge of the plates and the billing. Apparently she sees accounting talents in you." She laughed.

"Sounds good, I'll get right to it!"

"Good luck, if you need anything, I'll be taking orders." She winked, forcing herself behind another costumer.

You heaved a sigh, putting your hands on your waist, glancing around the room. There were stacks of plates and glasses waiting just, fifthly for you. You puffed a breath of air through your lips and started working yourself to the bones. The plate were not too heavy so you did manage to enjoy it, especially when your favorite song can on the radio. It was the perfect timing because everyone in the diner had left. You and Ruby alone were dancing as though you were mad. With agile and elegant pace, you swerved around the tables to the tune, stashing the dishes away in the sink. When the day was nearly at its end, you went over to your table, took out the notebook and started your calculations. Magically, it seemed easier for you than usual. The numbers came and went and eventually you finished all your work, finding Ruby leaning over you with a growing smirk.

"What are you staring at?" You beamed in a bewildered manner.

"Are you done the chores?"

"Yeah- seems about right." You muttered, sitting up from the stool, suddenly putting a hand to your spine, "Holy cow, I-I didn't know I pushed myself that much." You grunted.

"Whoa whoa-" Ruby grabbed a hold of you. "Calm down there, (Y/N)."

"Sorry bout that-"

"There's nothing for you to apologize." She chuckled. "Maybe you should go get a drink with me to relax a bit?"

"Oh I don't think so- I let Paige at home by herself today an-"

"C'mon, (Y/N), it's just one night. She's a grown girl, she deserves to have some fun on her own too."

"Are you trying to say-"

"We'll just be around the block, (Y/N), just let her know you'll be an hour late or something and if anything I'll drop you early. Please?"

You sighed in defeat. "Alight, I'm calling her though."

Ruby laughed lightly, rolling her eyes playfully as you sauntered off to the empty corner of the diner. You dialed upon your phone, anxiously putting it to your ear, feeling a knot build in your stomach. "Hello?"