Chapter 24 ✂ Scavenge Hunter

Past in the Enchanted Forest...

You were profoundly armed with knives and fairy dust for your planned brawl with the Queen. Jefferson followed your trail with a large box. He seemed dreadfully cautious about it and carried it against his chest the entire day. It was- odd. You didn't want to question it, realizing knowing facts wasn't your chief priority.

Grace was.

You travelled quite a far distance before you came to a tunnel that would escort you right towards the Evil Queen's castle. "We'll have to set out camp for the night, love. We can't confront the queen if we barely have any energy." Jefferson advised, finally plummeting his bag before a settled log.

"You can't be serious, right? We're right at the witch's castle. We can snoop right under Regina's nose and get Grace without her knowing!" You exclaimed.

"(Y/N), listen to me. Although you hate it, we have to meet the Queen's demands. I don't want any of you to get hurt."

"Oh really," you snapped, "And what's your share of the deal?"

"There was... a deal?" He raised a brow.

You paused, realizing you may have said too much already. You couldn't possibly let Jefferson know what was written on that note. It was just- malicious. You had to work around to keep everyone safe- especially your family. "You're hiding something from me."

"Me?" You huffed a laugh. "If anything, you are."

"What are you talking about?" He retorted.

He kept an inquisitive gaze upon you till you heaved a sigh. "I'm gonna gather some wood for the fire."

"I know what you're thinking of. I can answer your questions if you'd just ask. I'll do the same for you."

"So is that how we're going to bring about this?" You snapped glaring at him with your arms crossed. "Alright, Jefferson. What's in that little box of yours and why'd you bring it?"

"It's- it's the hat I used to jump into different realms with. I... I got the understanding that the Queen wants more than just our confrontation. She probably wants the hat too."

"You won't go with her, will you? You promised!"

"Of course I won't." He said softly cupping your face in his frail hands. "I'll hand the hat to her and she'll let Grace go."

"It's not that easy," you muttered, pulling away from his warm and reassuring touch.

"W-What do you mean? What more could she want?"

"A lot more," You muttered, staring at the ground with your back against him.

"Please, (Y/N). Something's treading in your mind. Just tell me, will you? We'll face this world together, hand in hand. You just have to let me in-"

"I'm going to get wood." You stated sternly, avoiding any more inquiry. You felt your heart melt but you knew it was best.

"Wait-" He raised his arms to grasp you but unfortunately, you departed ahead of time. After gathering wood and settling them down in a circle in the center of the open field, you raised your hands towards the wood, fluttered your eyes closed. You breathed out, feeling warmth flicker at the tips of your fingers.

It had been a while since you actually used your magic. You preferred not to, especially in front of villagers. You were alarmed by the thought of people fearing you. But today, the way things went down with The Queen, you didn't mind spreading the fear.

"Hope I'm not interrupting." A voice cracked like a whip behind you. You jerked in panic, shooting a glare behind your back. You immediately whisked the flames on your palms, hoping the stranger hadn't seen much.

It was a boy. His face was pale in color with his cheeks radiantly spotted with freckles. His shaggy forest of jet black hair shadowed his hazel orbs. Just at a single glance, you knew he was far more innocent than most. His eyes glistened with purity. The way he dressed left you on an edge, uncertain of his origins. "Heavens, you gave me a fright."

"I apologize. I wasn't expecting company in the boundaries of the Queen's palace."

"Well I promise we won't dread here for too long." You laughed uneasily.

"We? There are more of you?"

"Well me and my-friend, Jefferson," You mumbled, starting to feel an unsettling feeling surging upon you. Yes, you were aware that you and Jefferson were more than friends but- it was odd for you to say anything else. You'd just gotten used to the idea of being alone for so long, it made you felt wheezy.

"Oh, well it's pleasant to meet you. My name is Grike Franando." He beamed, lending you a hand.

"(Y/N) (L/N)," you grinned, shaking it willingly. You noticed the missing teeth in the front row, as though he'd been through scuffles. Though, that wasn't the only thing odd about his teeth. There was a gold tooth in the bottom row, glistening from the sparks of fire. "May I ask, what on Earth are you doing in the Queen's area?" You asked the boy.

He smirked slightly, "Would you believe me if I said I was a scavenge hunter?"

"At such a young age? You're lying."

The boy chuckled, "No lies said here, miss. What business do you have?"

Your eyes grew distant and hallow, deep in a pool of thought, "My- my friend's daughter was kidnapped for the Queen. I'm afraid I'll have to meet commands to get her back."

"What's your half of the deal?" He furrowed his brow.

"Heh, I've got to offer a lot for the girl's life."

He understood immediately not to bug you further about the issue. "Um, I'm truly sorry about that. I really can't confront the Queen although I would love to- but- I can do something help to assist you on your mission."

You furrowed your brows. "What can you possibly do?"

"There's a path down that way," he pointed northwards, "and it would lead your directly beneath the palace. You go through a door with two flimsy guards. Then through a narrow corridor right behind the Queen's scrawny back."

You grinned brightly, "Thank you, Grike. I really really appreciate the help."

"I hope you find your daughter." He beamed, softly taking your hand.

"Thank you, I owe you-" You froze and stared him straight in the eyes.

Something. Something was off about the raven haired boy. 'I didn't say Grace was my daughter.' You thought to yourself. You stared at him with a bitter and suspicious look before smirking smugly. "I hope to see you later."

"I promise I will," he reflected your expression before fleeing back into the woods. The last you saw of him was a murky silhouette growing indistinct as he faded into the darkness.

There was something off about this entire thing. About meeting this boy and all. Perhaps it was best you left before matters were worsened in experience. Then again...

You were not going to stop till you brought down the people who took your Grace.